2014 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What were you expecting? Did you smell the hops? I had been smell testing mine for about three months before I picked. Assuming you used wet hops, I just bottled my Pale Ale that was all home grown wet hops. Wet hops into the boil, wet hops in at 2min, and wet hop secondary. It is big and rich and floral and fruity and a bit grassy but not in a bad way.

Over all I am amazed with how complex it was and I am hoping that a little CO2 will help brighten the whole thing up.

Wet hops are way different than dry hops, your yard hops are way different than any farm hop...it's all an experience/experiment.

From my experience, an infected starter will smell like sulfer. I've never considered grapefruit a bad smell, I wouldn't consider it wasted yet. You should be getting grapefruit from cascade and centennial. I have an American Barley Wine that is overwhelmingly sweet and grapefruit like at bottling but even in a month out mellows. Just my $.02 but I suggest letting it run it's course.

Thanks guys for the advice. I'm going to let it go for a few weeks and see. I used 1450 and it usually is a pretty consistent shooter. So well see what the FG is and if it keeps dropping.

I would described the sent as rich and strong notes of sweet fruits.

I guess I was expecting my bitterness from them. I used 10oz cascade, 19 oz centennial, and 6 oz chinook. All late boil expect for a 5 oz buttering addition at 60.

I also tossed in 6 oz of wet hops into secondary.

RDWHAHB

Time will tell

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks guys for the advice. I'm going to let it go for a few weeks and see. I used 1450 and it usually is a pretty consistent shooter. So well see what the FG is and if it keeps dropping.

I would described the sent as rich and strong notes of sweet fruits.

I guess I was expecting my bitterness from them. I used 10oz cascade, 19 oz centennial, and 6 oz chinook. All late boil expect for a 5 oz buttering addition at 60.

I also tossed in 6 oz of wet hops into secondary.

RDWHAHB

Time will tell

You got it. I'm sure it'll be fine. It makes sense that you're getting such strong aromas from this batch, the late additions provide the aroma. You roughly have an equivalent of 7 oz of dried hops as late editions. Plus over an oz. for dry hopping. I love citrus hops so I think you're sitting pretty. Let us all know how it turns out. If you're not fond of it, let it sit awhile and come back to it.... good luck!

I used Yoopers apa recipe and changed the hop amounts to match my harvest For the record

Went out into the 90 deg heat to harvest my 1st year Saaz plant.

20140827_184634_Android.jpg

Started to wrap up the 2014 year at my house this week. It's a bit early, but watering schedule is going to be too light for the direct sun the pots are sitting in right now and the finally got here blistering >100F heat indexes.

Basically I cut all the bines back to about 5ft, to leave some green growth on the plant. All pots put back into their wintering spot and the remaining bines drapped over nearby bushes so they can still get a bit of sun. This will reduce water evaporation a lot and still allow them to continue getting ready for winter.....I HOPE.

No pics of that, but how about a wasp video from my hop garden area?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh2-tKVuY10[/ame]

Today my hand iches like heck, but thanks to mamma for the saying "vinegar for vasps and base on bees". Oh, and thanks to the GF for actually having vingar in the house...lol.

Pulled in the Chinook today, got just under 8 pounds wet, not bad considering I chopped everything down to grade on Memorial Day weekend so I could paint my deck.
First shot is what I could reach from the second story deck, the rest I cut down from the first story.

Oast is loaded up pretty good, house already smells amazing!

Cheers! :mug:

chinook_2014_01.jpg

chinook_2014_02.jpg

chinook_2014_03.jpg

Pulled in the Chinook today, got just under 8 pounds wet, not bad considering I chopped everything down to grade on Memorial Day weekend so I could paint my deck.

First shot is what I could reach from the second story deck, the rest I cut down from the first story.

Oast is loaded up pretty good, house already smells amazing!

Cheers! :mug:

Nice!

Dank beers coming up

Do these look ready to pick?

Top two pictures Centennial. Bottom two Columbus.

1409604617474.jpg

1409604625562.jpg

1409604634547.jpg

1409604643679.jpg

Did some research and decided to pick the Centennial. Got 3.3 oz wet, so I should expect about .55 oz dry right? Gonna wait another week or so to pick the Columbus.

1409610459445.jpg

1409610472945.jpg

1409610481470.jpg

1409610493965.jpg

First real harvest of the year from one of my Columbus bines. In a few days the other one will be ready. It's a couple inches thick. Think it will be about a pound or so dry. Gonna take it to work after dry and measured and press it into half ounce plugs on an arbor press.

1409617841876.jpg

First real harvest of the year from one of my Columbus bines. In a few days the other one will be ready. It's a couple inches thick. Think it will be about a pound or so dry. Gonna take it to work after dry and measured and press it into half ounce plugs on an arbor press.

What's your process for making plugs ? Did you make a 'mold' and a holding chamber similar to a large garlic press ?

What's your process for making plugs ? Did you make a 'mold' and a holding chamber similar to a large garlic press ?

I have a piece of 1/4" wall d.o.m. tubing and an aluminum slug that slips inside. Figure smashing it into the tube with a 1 ton press should suffice. After that I will put them into the food saver for storage.

Harvested 3.5 oz of what I guess you would call wet. they seemed dry to me, but then what do I know. this is my first time picking them. this was a chinook plant and only 2nd year. theres more bines that look like theyre growing more, but too early to tell. some may have been picked too early, as the ones at the top seemed bigger and more ripe!

Great experience all the way around!

100_1787.jpg

100_1785.jpg

Here are some pics of my town house roof top grow:

I have 5 plants: 4th year cascade, 4th year willamette, 2nd goldings, 2nd year hallertau and 1st year saaz.

I harvested the willamette on Saturday and put 10oz wet in a brew and dried the rest down to 14oz. The other plants aren't ready yet.

Impressive...what is you water/fertilizer/care schedule for such small pots? I had my plants in big ol blue buckets with those white rope handles, and you appear to have had a better harvest in tiny little planters.

Impressive...what is you water/fertilizer/care schedule for such small pots? I had my plants in big ol blue buckets with those white rope handles, and you appear to have had a better harvest in tiny little planters.

It's hard to tell the scale from the pictures but the planters are decent sized: The blue rectangular ones are 120L rubbermaid containers, the beige one is 190L and the circular brown one is a 25" planter from home depot. The trellises are all 8' tall with exception of the hallertau (the 25" circular planter) as its mounted on my neighbour's balcony making it 12' tall (he's from Czech Republic and down with the cause). I used potting soil in all the planters, I watered pretty much every day (soaking them with a garden hose until water was running out the base) and I used a powdered 20-20-20 fertilizer I got at homedepot every couple weeks.

...and Willamette. That variety is a beast and doesn't seem to care how small the container or trellis is. It had cones starting at waist height all the way to the top. The only downside is its willamette! :p

A guy I know from the homebrew club has a hydroponic setup and has spectacular results. He got more than twice as much off of first year plants than you should be able to get off of mature bines grown in the ground. I'll get him to post some pictures.

If they are tan/brown they are probably too far gone. I would check their aroma first. Take a cone and smush it in your fingers then smell it. If if smells like hops it is fine. IF it smells like garlic or something else then they are too far gone to use.

Today was harvest day for my Cascade. I got 65 ounces :rockin: :ban:

hops 058.jpg

hops 053.jpg

One of my bines escaped and had a good time climbing a small maple tree

hops 061.jpg

I'm no where near 65 oz but a guy gave me some cascade and hallertau.

Pry about 2# dry

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410117454.125183.jpg

I took a picture (almost) every day from May 1st to September 6th (harvest day), plopped them into a time-lapse and this is what I got:

I used about 10oz. of the wet hops to brew a wet-hop pale ale. The rest just barely ended up fitting in my new drying frames.

hops_drying_2014.jpg

There are six layers of hops in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awesome. I love how the sidearms come out and you see the little green hops starting to for, weighing down over time. Good work on the time lapse!

The Cascade are in, thus ending three weekends of hop pickin'. Woof.
Mercifully just a little over 9 pounds wet as I'm almost out of room in my hop freezer as it is (#FirstWorldHomeHopGrowerProblems ;))

Cheers!

cascade_2014_03.jpg

It's hard to tell the scale from the pictures but the planters are decent sized: The blue rectangular ones are 120L rubbermaid containers, the beige one is 190L and the circular brown one is a 25" planter from home depot. The trellises are all 8' tall with exception of the hallertau (the 25" circular planter) as its mounted on my neighbour's balcony making it 12' tall (he's from Czech Republic and down with the cause). I used potting soil in all the planters, I watered pretty much every day (soaking them with a garden hose until water was running out the base) and I used a powdered 20-20-20 fertilizer I got at homedepot every couple weeks.

...and Willamette. That variety is a beast and doesn't seem to care how small the container or trellis is. It had cones starting at waist height all the way to the top. The only downside is its willamette! :p

A guy I know from the homebrew club has a hydroponic setup and has spectacular results. He got more than twice as much off of first year plants than you should be able to get off of mature bines grown in the ground. I'll get him to post some pictures.

I'm very interested to see how they were set up in hydroponics. I have limited space growing mine and do have experience with hydro for my veggies. It can definitely grow stuff at a rapid pace.

These are my first year Prima Donna (First Gold):
The cones are coming in; hopefully they will make it by the end of the season:
5t5RSTO.jpg

The cones are very pink at the top:
vM4V6Ne.jpg

As a first year growth I let it grow almost wild to get a good root system so I'll be overjoyed to see any fully developed cones! I gave some of the lower side-bines some rope to wind around to keep things spaced out and reduce any chance of mildew etc.
82lZbBD.jpg

edit: that's Chives underneath just in case anyone thinks I've been *that* lazy on weeding

As a first year growth I let it grow almost wild to get a good root system so I'll be overjoyed to see any fully developed cones! I gave some of the lower side-bines some rope to wind around to keep things spaced out and reduce any chance of mildew etc.

tiny little malformed cones as all my first year hallertau put out last year and my first year saaz put out this. This year the hallertau is a monster. ...but as every homebrewer knows, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GROW HOPS IN SCOTLAND. Your little cones are in violation of the BJCP 2008 style guide! :p

edit: that's Chives underneath just in case anyone thinks I've been *that* lazy on weeding

Chives at the base seemed to keep away pests for me. Plus it's helped when I wanted some fresh Chives for some dishes!

Is prima Donna supposed to have pink cones? I've never seen anything like it. I Wonder what's causing that.

I have 3 second year plants, they seem to have shifted this year. Honestly i think i missed a few days watering when i thought my automatic sprinklers were on but werent when it was warm. My cascade had a crapload of flowers, but they were all pretty small, compared to last year there were a good amount of 1.5" cones, this year the Columbus took the big cone record.

Last year dried was 12oz Cascade, 4oz Newport, 4 oz Columbus.

This year dried was 8.5oz Cascade, 5.5oz Newport, 19.4oz Columbus!

2014-09-08%2020.18.56.jpg

2014-09-10%2018.22.59.jpg
]

Columbus flower as long as my longest finger.
2014-09-08%2018.32.32.jpg

Wow, that is long!
Excellent drying screens. As it's a first year harvest I'm going to use my BIAB bag hung up as a drying screen.

tiny little malformed cones as all my first year hallertau put out last year and my first year saaz put out this. This year the hallertau is a monster. ...but as every homebrewer knows, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GROW HOPS IN SCOTLAND. Your little cones are in violation of the BJCP 2008 style guide! :p

hehe, yeah I know, right? I'll just have to get rid of them somehow... Maybe throw them in some boiling wort? Those cones are still growing; you can see it day by day. There are some tiny ones lower down that don't seem to be up to much though. I'm thinking of getting some Bramling Cross for next year (planting at the far end of the plot) as they are said to need a good winter period, which they will certainly get.

Chives at the base seemed to keep away pests for me. Plus it's helped when I wanted some fresh Chives for some dishes!

Is prima Donna supposed to have pink cones? I've never seen anything like it. I Wonder what's causing that.
Yup, Cheese and Chive sandwhich for lunch today :)
I've seen some others have the tiniest bit of brown/pink at the top but not as much as this. I've no idea what's causing it.

So about 3 weeks ago I clipped the top of my hop bine at harvest and threw it into a small vase of water to see if it would root. Sure enough it started to grow some roots. Now my question is can I transplant this into soil and should it grow?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411227106.137773.jpg

So about 3 weeks ago I clipped the top of my hop bine at harvest and threw it into a small vase of water to see if it would root. Sure enough it started to grow some roots. Now my question is can I transplant this into soil and should it grow?

View attachment 224993

Worth a shot! Let us know if it grows and if it gets cones!

Yes. I've been doing it with all my cuttings this summer. It's called propagation I believe. You can buy hormones from garden stores to help it root. I'm having trouble with centennial but Chinook have taken off...

Back