2013 Nugget Hops Deal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it worth buying 2013 Nugget hops at this price? I would probably buy another pound or two at the same time given the shipping and all. I already have a pound of Warrior and Bravo sealed (1 oz foods aver bags) and in the freezer.

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2016/02/nikobrew-2013-nugget-hop-pellets-7lb.html

BTW - I mainly brew Pale Ales and IPAs so I'm trying to build a nice stock pile of hops to come up with my own recipes and what not. Thanks in advance!

As long as they have been stored at deep freeze temps they should be fine. I have 2013 harvest Nugget (from HopsDirect) and it's as potent as can be. NikoBrew has a good reputation. Hops are their only business.

The hops should not be a problem. But is that really the hop you want. You have Warrior and Bravo, all 3 are primarily bittering hops. Yes, you can use them for late additions, but none make really exciting IPAs.

I think you would probably be better off looking for hops that will give you the flavor you want.

@calder good point. I do need to get aroma hops.

@IslandLizard you think any 2013 hops from NikoBrew are fine to buy? I'll keep my eye open on similar good deals.

Agreed, you already seem to have a decent amount of bittering hops for at least 6-12 (double) IPA batches. Stock up on some aroma hops.

I haven't bought from NikoBrew (yet), but have always seen good feedback. They are a vendor here. Some others are HopsDirect, Yakima Valley Hops, Farmhouse Brewing Supply.

According to a few posts some 2015 hops have not been that good, e.g., oniony/garlicky Mosaic, and low aroma Amarillo. Not sure if these are merely incidental cases or across the board from certain suppliers.

Again, if properly stored, 2013 hops should be fine. I have (deep frozed, -4-0°F) hops from 2011 and 2012 that perform as well today as they did 3 years back. I have been adding 10% per year for age, but that seems a bit too much already, going to add only 5% now.

Back