How much hops and grain do you have on hand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-adjunct-hippie

aspiring brewgenius
Reaction score
I'm always asked at the homebrew store what recipe I'm making when I check out. The first couple times I was asked, I was very puzzled, but then I realized that most folks buy just for the batch rather than having stock on hand, kinda like going to the grocery store and buying ingredients for supper. Maybe I'm a bit of an excessive-ist, but I've always liked having enough materials on hand to wake up and say, "I'm gonna brew a tripel today" or "I'm gonna brew a FBS clone".

Anyways, I have about 50 lbs of base malt (40 GP, 10 Pils), 30 lbs of wheat, and about 20 lbs combined of various caramel, roasted, and adjunct malts (standouts are Gambrinus Honey, Flaked Oats, Special B, Roasted Barley, Victory, Cara 120, Midnight Wheat). I bought a chest freezer to store hops and it's full, probably about 25-30 lbs of hops (leaf and pellet). Biggest standouts in volume are Citra, Ekuanot, Warrior, Target, and Bravo. Quite a bit of liquid and dry yeasts in the fridge as well, mostly S-04 however. I try to brew at least once a month, usually more often though.

I'm sure I'm not the only dude with some product hanging around itching to be used.

Share what 'chu got!

Similarly, I don't buy grain per recipe. I have approximately
50 lbs 2row
40 lbs pils
25 lbs flaked wheat
10 lbs Munich
5 lbs raw wheat
Currently out of maris otter, but I usually have a sack on hand.

15-20 lbs(total) various cara/crystal, roasted, chocolate, special B, biscuit etc.

Hops- east Kent Golding, northern brewer, perle, willamette, fuggles probably others I've forgotten

Lots of harvested yeast and several liquid and dry packs for back up or replacement. British ale, Belgian abbey and saison mostly.

I'm right there with you. I usually have about 100 to 200 lbs of grain on hand at this time of year. 3 base malts in bulk, and 35 other base malts and specialty malts that I purchase by the pound. From November to April, I generally brew every weekend and plan out my schedule to figure out which malts I need to purchase for the upcoming month or so. This also gives me the freedom to toss in an extra brew day here and there and to extend my brew season into May if farm work and job allow.

For hops, I probably have about 10 to 12 pounds on hand right now. I order in September during the sales when room is being made for the new crop and run down the inventory as the year passes.

The owner of my LHBS has given up asking me what I am brewing with the materials I buy and just asks me what is coming up on my schedule for the next couple of weeks. He can generally tell from the yeast packs that I buy as I need them.

Maybe it's because my LHBS is only 15 minuets away, but I only stock hops (have about 5lb's of different types) and yeast (saved from over built starters), but I only get grains as needed.

I used to keep a full cupboard of grains on hand but found that some of them went stale before I got around to using them. Now I just keep about 50lbs of base malt and just run to the LHBS for everything else. I do have a freezer full of the basic hops that I use on a regular basis... probably 5 lbs in stock right now.

Have about 5 lbs of hops and around 40 lbs of Weyermann Barke Pils malt left. Puchased the malt in October grain bill, first time buying in bulk.

here's my stash...each little tote holds about 5 lb's, and the big one 50 raw barley for sprouting...the feed store is only 5 minutes away from me, so i just buy a bag when i'm out...i don't even know what i'd call the crystals, just different times and temps really....

100_0532.JPG

hops, i don't use a lot, so i just keep about 4-5lb's on hand for a year's worth....

100_0533.JPG

but i agree, i just like throwing something together that sounds good for the moment....maybe dark, maybe light? maybe brown, amber...**** it "You know your homebrewer when....."

Only bulk grains on hand ATM are 2-row and Munich, lots of bulk hops ~5lbs. I generally buy specialty grains and yeast 2 batches at a time. LHBS is ~15min away, so no big deal to make a run up there. I've already got at least an outline of everything I plan to brew in 2019; I'm not really the spontaneous type.

I keep a spreadsheet of how much ingredients I have on hand, but never thought to total anything up. Turns out I have 303 lb grain in the garage and 13.8 lb hops in the chest freezer. Time to quit planning brews and get out in the driveway and brew them up. I totally feel like a hoarder right now.

I keep a spreadsheet of how much ingredients I have on hand, but never thought to total anything up. Turns out I have 303 lb grain in the garage and 13.8 lb hops in the chest freezer. Time to quit planning brews and get out in the driveway and brew them up. I totally feel like a hoarder right now.

sounds like peace of mind...they were out of whole barley at the feed store once, and i had to buy a bag of whole oats malt them and make oat beer once....

wasn't bad though....

I'm always asked at the homebrew store what recipe I'm making when I check out. The first couple times I was asked, I was very puzzled, but then I realized that most folks buy just for the batch rather than having stock on hand, kinda like going to the grocery store and buying ingredients for supper. Maybe I'm a bit of an excessive-ist, but I've always liked having enough materials on hand to wake up and say, "I'm gonna brew a tripel today" or "I'm gonna brew a FBS clone".

Anyways, I have about 50 lbs of base malt (40 GP, 10 Pils), 30 lbs of wheat, and about 20 lbs combined of various caramel, roasted, and adjunct malts (standouts are Gambrinus Honey, Flaked Oats, Special B, Roasted Barley, Victory, Cara 120, Midnight Wheat). I bought a chest freezer to store hops and it's full, probably about 25-30 lbs of hops (leaf and pellet). Biggest standouts in volume are Citra, Ekuanot, Warrior, Target, and Bravo. Quite a bit of liquid and dry yeasts in the fridge as well, mostly S-04 however. I try to brew at least once a month, usually more often though.

I'm sure I'm not the only dude with some product hanging around itching to be used.

Share what 'chu got!

It appears that you could be a HBS lol. How long can you keep that grain?

Sometime I know the beer I will brew before brew day, but most time I have a base style in mind then fine tune the hops that day.

25lb of 2row and pilsner, 20lb of specialty base malt(Vienna, munich maris otter …), 20lb of crystal and roasted malts, maybe 8 to 10lb of hops(recently restocked with 2018), will need a new a bag or 2row or pilsner soon.

Keep grain in old brew bucket with gamma lids, seem to stay fresh but try to only buy specialty grains in a pound or two to hedge my bet.

I plan my brewing seasonally and may do 2-3 brews per month. Usually a related series (ie. Vienna->Marzen->Bock). So I make sure that I have the specialty grains and hops available for the planned brews. I do usually have somewhere between 40-75 lbs of base grain on hand most of the time, and generally enough specialties and hops for that 'spur-of-the-moment' brew as well.

I usually have 50 lbs of 2-Row, 50 lbs of Pilsner, 20 or so lbs of Munich, 25 or so lbs total of various specialty malts (crystal 20, caramunich, golden naked oats, etc), 5 lbs or so of a couple different kind of chocolate malt or Carafa special, 20 pounds or so of wheat and a small amount of acid malt. That covers me most of the time. If I need something different, I'll usually buy 5 lbs even if I only need a 8 oz or something, just to have it on hand.

Started buying 4-5 sacks about every 6 months. Last buy just came through (missing my 2-row), bringing me back up to around 300 lbs.
165 lb Barke Pils
55 lb Munich
80 ish lbs assorted base grains and specialty grains.

Usually order hops by the lb, but probably only have 2 lbs in the freezer right now. I make a lot of low hop style beers with a few ipas mixed in occasionally.

Also keep several jars of harvested yeast on hand.

I have around 100 kg of base malts lying around, simply because it's way cheaper if you buy the 25 kg sacks, and paradoxically despite the huge weight if I order 2 or 3 at a time I get free shipping too.
Special malts I tend to buy on an as needed basis, much like hops, simply because there are so many different types to choose from, again much like hops.

Last edited:
1 bucket of 2-row (20-something pounds), half a bucket of pils (2 or 3 years old), 2 buckets of pale ale malt(less than a year old), and a 50 lb sack of dark Munich that I just bought because it was too cheap to pass up. And probably about 8 pounds of assorted odds and ends like crystal malts, wheat, Vienna, and black patent.

I go through a bag of plain Rahr 2-row quicker than anything else.

If I purchase milled grains from morebeer how long will it last ? They come sealed really well . Is it better just to buy unmilled and mill myself . I imagine unmilled last longer but how much longer.

I usually go through a bag (55lbs) of two row a month. I'll either get it from the LHBS or from my boss if I've worked hard enough for it. Hops, however....I've got about 10lbs of various ones in the freezer, mostly the ones I use the most of (Mosaic, Cascade, Chinook, Crystal, Centennial, and some Legacy that I stupidly bought about 3 months ago and don't like). For adjuncts I make a run to the store, although I've been planning on buying 10lbs of the ones I use the most even though i don't have my own mill (yet, that's for next year).

I used to just buy the stuff for the beer I was planning on brewing. After doing that for a couple years, and having 2 kids at the same time, money got tight and I wanted to brew still but for as cheap as possible. I have also grown to love the ability to wake up and say, "I feel like brewing today." and not have to go anywhere or do anything to make it happen.
So now I get 50 lbs of 2 row a few times a year and whatever specialty grains and hops that are on sale at the lhbs or online. I wash and trade yeast as well and brew in 5 gallon batches on my stove so I don't need to buy propane. The next beer I'm brewing, a Pekko SMaSH, will cost me about $14 including the c02 that I use.
Right now on hand I have 40 lbs 2 row, and maybe 6 lbs of random specialty grains from crystal 60 to biscuit malt, to roasted barley, aromatic malt, special b, to honey malt, caramunich, etc... Then I have a little over 1.5 lbs of hops in the fridge, and 3 yeast strains. Can't wait to get more!

Those who order, where do you order from? I am just got a mill so I now have a need to have grain on hand.

Oh and 3lb or so of hops, mostly English.

If I purchase milled grains from morebeer how long will it last ? They come sealed really well . Is it better just to buy unmilled and mill myself . I imagine unmilled last longer but how much longer.
Unmilled sealed and stored properly can last a few years, from what I've read. Milled should be used within 6 months.

I'm both shocked and impressed at your guy's inventory! I typically buy for 2 batches at a time. I'm limited to brewing only a few times a month, so it's crazy for me to have excess grain on hand. But I probably have enough hops in my freezer for the next year...

Those who order, where do you order from? I am just got a mill so I now have a need to have grain on hand.

Oh and 3lb or so of hops, mostly English.
Morebeer.com

You can buy 10 lb bags and they ship over $60 for free. So 5 10 lb bags end up being cheaper than 1 50lb bag, which doesn't qualify for free shipping.

I have about 60 pounds of specialty grains and another 70 or so of base grains. I have about 100 ounces of 14 different hops and a frozen yeast bank of 15 varieties of yeast.

Yeast is my limiting factor on when I can brew. It takes a week to build up a yeast starter from frozen. Though I usually have some dry yeast for spur of the moment brews.

And I need to brew more often. A lot of my ingredients are several years old. And the frozen yeast is mostly 4-6 years old.

I used to keep enough for 3-4 brews. Since moving to PR its too expensive to ship bulk grains so I buy by the batch from the only LHBS on the island, but the prices are actually pretty decent. Cheaper than my LHBS back in VA. I would typically have 30-40lb 2 row, 15-20lb Vienna, 20lb MO, 5lb cara 40, cara 60, honey malt and then 1-2 lb of some lesser used stuff like acid malt. I still keep several pounds of hops on hand, YVH ships flat rate USPS so its still pretty cheap to ship to PR, but grains I don't really keep on hand anymore.
20180113_114437.jpg

Currently have about 60 pounds of 2 row pale malt and 1 pound of acidulated malt. I buy specialty grains as needed. Hops?? Probably about 6 pounds on hand. I buy hops in bulk based on what I plan to brew. Every now and then I don't brew as planned and will buy what I need, always by the pound though...

I started buying 25kg/55lb bags earlier this year, I call ahead and get the LHBS to mill it for me. So usually a max of 1 bag of base grain, and 4-5 partial bags of specialty malts (bought in 500g/1lb bags). Since I was getting it milled, I'd do one base grain at a time and adjust recipes to suit.

However, I just got a mill for my birthday, and also bought a house, so I have more room and can store for longer if it's unmilled. Will probably keep 2-3 sacks of base malt on hand going forward.

Hops,never usually that much. I usually buy before I've really planned out the recipe, so I'll buy a few oz of what I think i might need. The more unsure of what I'm making the more I'l pick up, and eventually I won't buy any for a few batches and use what I have. I did have 1lb of Cascade that the farm down the road from my parent. I don't normally stock that much of anything, but my dad knows the farmer and bought me a bag. I should probably finish those off soon...

Until I have a dedicated space for my brew supplies and equipment I usually have two batches worth standing by for when the planets align. With 4 kids it can be a challenge to pull off a brew day.

I have 10 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids to store 50 lb bags of 2 row, maris otter, pilsner, Munich and Vienna malts. Each bucket holds about half a bag. I typically buy enough specialty malt for my next 5 or 6 batches and have it shipped to cut on shipping costs. I keep a 12 strain frozen yeast bank and a handful of dry yeast packs for emergencies and spur of the moment brews. I'm a sucker for hop sales, so I currently have enough hops to last a long, long time - about 16 lbs or so of mixed hops.

I always brew 5 batches in the course of 3-4 days and will buy grains, yeast and hops for these beers. So every time, I will buy around 75-90 lbs malts, yeast for 5 batches around 2.2-3-3 lbs hops, depending on which recipes I will be brewing.

I brew recipes which I usually work on for a few weeks: anything from grain bill, yeast choice, hops, amount of hops, hop schedule, water profile, water treatment, pH, etc. I plan ahead carefully, is what I'm saying. :)

I don't keep much grains around - mostly leftovers if I need an odd amount for a particular recipe, if I have to get a pound and use half. Most of the time I just round it up or down and go with it.
My LHBS has a program called "virtual sack" where you buy a sack of grain, they put it down in a log, and when you come in and get grains, they deduct it from your totals. I do that with base grains, 2-row and pils, and then get the specialty at that time. BEst part of that is I don't have to worry about the grain going stale if I don't brew for a while.
for hops, I have whatever is left from my crop that I grew this year, and a couple ounces of other stuff in the freezer. I don't have a dedicated one, so it all has to find room in the kitchen one.
I keep a couple packs of dry yeast on hand, plus a couple vials of what I saved from previous brews - WLP 001, an abbey varietal and Irish ale yeast, last I checked.

Generally some part of a bag of each Pils, MO, 2 row. 2 ish pounds of hops. Specialty grains I buy as needed - LHBS is 10 min away.

Back