2013 hops harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just packaged 8.2 oz of Fuggles but used the dry equivalent of 2.2 oz of wet in a batch of ordinary bitter. So 10.4oz, running total = 758.57oz

I harvested my first year hops last week and got 3 1/3 oz of Chinook and almost 2 oz of cascade after drying. But it looks like my cascade has new blossoms so I might get another oz or two.

ForumRunner_20130915_212045.jpg

ForumRunner_20130915_212114.jpg

Super64 said:
Just harvested 40 ounces of wet Cascade.

Started drying today :ban:

Maybe I'm wrong but its hard for me to see how you got 40 ozs from those 2 little bines. Maybe you meant 4?

Still have yet to harvest mine but did harvest another guys hops that no longer brews for my personal consumption with his permission of course. Ended up with 30 oz of northern brewer dried and packaged and have a bunch more drying as I type. 758.52+30=788.57

Harvested the first production from my single bine, 8.9 oz wet that went into an APA that's just about ready to bottle.

So 1/5 of that would be an additional 1.78oz dried

788.57+1.78=790.35

First year of harvesting cascade, centennial, and columbus hops. I'll let you know a weight when they get done drying. Does everyone just vacuum seal and throw them in the freezer?

ForumRunner_20130917_205712.jpg

walte1fr said:
First year of harvesting cascade, centennial, and columbus hops. I'll let you know a weight when they get done drying. Does everyone just vacuum seal and throw them in the freezer?

Yep. Nice hall.

Just packaged 17.40 ounces of an unknown hop. They smell great. The smell is similar to Hallertau. 790.35 + 17.40 = 807.75 ounces.

Stevo2569
" Maybe I'm wrong but its hard for me to see how you got 40 ozs from those 2 little bines. Maybe you meant 4?"

DOH! Nope you are correct. 4oz not 40oz -:cross:

10 oz NEO1
12 oz Amalia
2.5 oz Galina
.5 oz Nugget
.5 oz Sterling
1.2 oz Tettnang
3 oz Pride of Ringwood.
Multihead may not beat the fall rains..
all first year plants..

What's F Ed up is I probably have half this total 500 ozs(32 lbs) in my freezer right now. Not all home grown.

Well we just bagged up our hop harvest. A total of 76 Oz dried hops. 44 Oz of Cascades and 32 Oz Hallertauer. 4 Oz short of 5lbs. Great year.

Mark

902.1 + 76 = 978.1

Harvested my Chinook last Thursday, cut all the bearing arms and leaders off and hauled it all down to my shop and stripped cones while watching a ball game. Filled up the oast and let it run 'til this afternoon. Quick weight check and it was time to vac bag.

All up there was 40 ounces dry weight on the nose.

978.1 + 40 = 1018.1 ounces for the group...

Cheers!

hops_19sep2013_01_sm.jpg

hops_19sep2013_02_sm.jpg

hops_23sep2013_01_sm.jpg

hops_23sep2013_02_sm.jpg

Harvested my Chinook last Thursday, cut all the bearing arms and leaders off and hauled it all down to my shop and stripped cones while watching a ball game. Filled up the oast and let it run 'til this afternoon. Quick weight check and it was time to vac bag.

All up there was 40 ounces dry weight on the nose.

978.1 + 40 = 1018.1 ounces for the group...

Cheers!

+4.9oz dry nugget.

1018.1+4.9= 1023oz

1.5oz Centennial (first year)
1oz Willamette (first year)
4oz feral (probably Goldings, don't know for sure, HUGE cones)

Group total: 1034.2oz

Magnum and Cascades still to be harvested.

Cobra. How many plants do you have?

I have about 4 cascade plants that are very mature. This year I transplanted about 4 or 5 plants around the corner of the house to expand production. Then a beer club member told me he was moving out of state so I dug up his plants. Got about 8 Hallertauer plants started. Not bad production for first year after being relocated. Here are some pictures. The ones to far right are the old cascades and to the left are the new Hallertauer.

About 1 gallons worth of centennial / chinook whole cones from the latest harvest. The smell is phenomenal. Should be a tasty IPA.

ForumRunner_20130928_082654.jpg

[semi-related side note ;) ]

So I realized the hop storage situation had reached a critical level with the 2013 harvest yielding almost 7 pounds of dry cones when I went to pull some out of the freezer on one of my beer fridges and a wall of hops greeted me. I've used up all the 2012 Cascade and Centennial but still have at least a pound of 2012 Chinook left in there to go with the new stuff. The door is loaded with store-bought pellets, all strains that I don't or can't grow. All told there's at least 15 pounds of hops in that freezer.

Minus a half pound - after today.

My grandsons gifted the wife and I with a mild cold and we were both feeling like crap, but I can't let a whole Saturday go by laying about, so I decided to buck up and do a couple of brews in the shop. Whipped out a batch of an English ale using store-boughts, then pulled out a bunch of home growns and knocked out one of the house IPAs.

Still feeling like crap, but there's another 10 gallons of beer in the pipeline! :rockin:

Cheers!

hops_23sep2013_03_sm.jpg

ab_sep_28_2013_03_sm.jpg

ab_sep_28_2013_09_sm.jpg

We've had a busy summer. I've got a big bunch of hops out there. How do I know if it's too late to harvest them?

Grab a couple of representative cones, smush them between your hands, and give the result a sniff. If it smells good, pick 'em, but if it smells like cheese, they're mulch...

Cheers!

I got 2 oz (dried) off my first year Columbus and 13 cones from my first year Willamette. All of it went into a pale ale this weekend.

Total = 1128.39oz

Added 7oz Magnum (first year) to the freezer on Monday night. Just Cascades left in the yard now. They're a little behind everything else.

Total: 1135.39oz.

.8oz Centennial, .6 oz Hallertauer, 2.7oz Fuggles and 2.3oz Nugget. 6.4oz total - all went into my 2013 Hops Harvest IPA.

Total: 1141.79oz.

Latest posts

Back