2013 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here they are laid out to dry. I probably could have waited a few more days but I think they are fine. Papery, not very moist and they smell amazing.

photo-21-60647.jpg

Wow those are meaty! My nugget is slower too, I think it's part of the breed.

Yeah dude...having never grown before, I was not expecting them to get that big! I blame the location. Amazing drainage, all day sunlight, and a rainy summer.
Are your nuggets first year too?

I am envious of all the gorgeous plants I have seen on this thread. I have one second year plant, Galena and three first year plants: cascade, centennial, and nugget. I got the three in slightly late so they're not very big, flowers on cascade and centennial but none on the nugget yet (they flower slightly later if I'm not mistaken). The Galena is producing pretty well for being "trellised" on a 5' chain link fence.

Galena Cones.jpg

Yeah dude...having never grown before, I was not expecting them to get that big! I blame the location. Amazing drainage, all day sunlight, and a rainy summer.
Are your nuggets first year too?

Second year but they really did nothing last year, almost killed the plant

First year hops here. I planted the first four plants right after the last frost of the year, the last 3 plants about 3 weeks after that. Very excited!! Even though I may get enough for hardly one batch...

2013-07-25 18.07.13.jpg

2013-07-25 18.07.44.jpg

hop.jpg

hop2.jpg

I'm very pleased with how this is looking for a first year plant. Started out with a Columbus rhizome smaller than my pinkie. Hit about 15 feet tall.

The Cascade rhizome I didn't take a picture of was not nearly as impressive.

Harvested over a pound of cascade cones from just one of four bines. The cones are HUGE. Some were 3" long. More like hop dongs if you ask me.

I had another line break in the last few days. I need to figure out how to keep these lines up for the rest of the season. Next year, I'm going to make three string braids for each bine. I knew I was asking for trouble with the single string jute twine.

Harvested over a pound of cascade cones from just one of four bines. The cones are HUGE. Some were 3" long. More like hop dongs if you ask me.

I had another line break in the last few days. I need to figure out how to keep these lines up for the rest of the season. Next year, I'm going to make three string braids for each bine. I knew I was asking for trouble with the single string jute twine.

lol hop dongs

Awesome crop JohnnyO, hope to see ya soon.

I am nervous with my single line hemp rope myself... but the plants are at least around a trellis and along a fence. Definitely upgrading next year.

Hop Dongs :). . . . . I'll have to keep the Misses away from this hop plant.

'da Kid

My 3rd years are just about ready. Going to give them another week or so.

8plants.

Cascade, centennial, chinook, sterling, and willammette

image-667249229.jpg

image-829166506.jpg

image-2485755721.jpg

First year. They were planted late + rhizomes were not in good shape when I planted them due to improper care on my part. I did not expect them to do this well. They are all Cascade. Some of the burrs are just starting to turn to cones.

ewg2.jpg

xlqd.JPG

6qcd.jpg

Nugget growing nice and tall. I got an early morning picture of the hundreds of little spurs that it just produced this last week / weekend. Can't wait for all those to mature! Nugget nectar, here I come!

ForumRunner_20130813_060138.jpg

ForumRunner_20130813_060223.jpg

Got a question.

My first year centennial looks like this.

image-1749436333.jpg

It's only around 8' tall, produced around 25-30 cones which I already harvested. There are no new burrs forming.

Should I cut it off now, or keep watering through September ( or first freeze)?

The first year cascade is rocking..

image-1266927642.jpg

Your centennial looks like a bastard stepchild in comparison. Let it ride until it browns so that the focus is on the root production. Then hope for the best next year.

yup, let that centennial grow until it withers. since cone season is over for it, it will concentrate on building up its roots.

your cascade and centennial look normal, based on my experience. cascade is a hyper-over-achiever. cents aren't as hardy and don't produce as much.

First year cascade in this cool summer we've been having here. My Willamette is much bushier, but no cones yet. I think I just didn't excavate enough of the crappy clay soil we have here-- created a small pot in the ground. Looking forward to re-planting in 2014 with much better soil preparation.

year1_cascades.jpg

PS: how are other Cleveland growers doing this year? I'm not anticipating harvesting for a few weeks.

Trying to figure out if I should harvest my 1st year ctz yet. The cones are nice and papery.. but the lupulin had yet to turn a dark golden color. They are starting to brown a bit. I just don't want to pick them early if they are not mature yet... any ideas?

Latest posts

Back