2013 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since my plastic/marker labels were faded and I couldn't read them, I stamped some new ones out of aluminum.

2013-03-28_16-08-51_943_zps4383c07b.jpg

2013-03-28_16-09-21_287_zps194c506d.jpg

Hopefully I remembered the beds correctly!

Just got my Zeus rhizomes in their pots. Looks like we have a stretch of nice weather ahead. Actually my 6 year old did it since my arm is in a sling.

I'm growing Northern Brewer, which likes temperate regions. It works in Reno because while it gets hot in the summer it doesn't really get sweltering. I wish I could remember the link to this sweet pdf that tells you what climates each hop variety likes, but the rhizome page on Midwest Supplies has basic climate information.

Well maybe you should put a non-censored version in the Boneyard. It's worth a lifetime membership! :mug:

Thanks for the Help.

a cutting from last year, that i just transplanted.

0401031138a.jpg

0401031138.jpg

It's a boy! My centennial baby in a whiskey barrel broke ground today. First time growing hops. Quite exciting.

firstgrowth-59274.jpg

Posted this in the other 2013 garden thread. Cascade, centennial, Chinook and Columbus

ForumRunner_20130401_213647.jpg

To all the potential container hop growers: You really need a bigger container. Here is what 2 years of growth in a 115L (approx 25gal) container looks like. I don't think this quite qualifies as root bound but it was definitely going to outgrow its home by the end of the summer if I hadn't transplanted it to a bigger container.

roots.jpg

To all the potential container hop growers: You really need a bigger container. Here is what 2 years of growth in a 115L (approx 25gal) container looks like. I don't think this quite qualifies as root bound but it was definitely going to outgrow its home by the end of the summer if I hadn't transplanted it to a bigger container.

Out of curiosity, how many rhizomes were initially planted in that container?

haha. well in that case...put it in the trash.

Well, I guess we are actually both correct, because centennial is a hermaphrodite. :cross:

Luckily, it is rare (I think) to have a centennial throw male flowers.

Be on the look out for tiny green balls!!! (no seriously, male flowers are tiny green balls)

:mug:

Here's my first try. Not sure if it will work, but am giving the tee-pee rig a try.

Looking good! I tried a similar setup for my first attempt at growing hops this year, although mine is a little more ghetto. My Dad had 2 lengths of steel pipe laying around, so I U-bolted them together, and rigged a carabiner type thing to the top to act as a pulley. I wasn't thinking about it when running my lines and they got wrapped/twisted around the pole a bit, so instead of being about 18' high, they are only 15-16;, but since it is the first year I figured I would see what happens rather than take everything down and string 'em up more carefully.

And hey, why didn't you just hang lines from those wires running horizontally to the left in the photo:cross:

Here is my attempt at a hop garden... i still haven't come up with how i want to do the trellises... im thinking about doing it how i have seen people with apartments do it...

0F0CA9F3-orig.jpg

I know its a bit small... but its the first bines that came up from my 1st years
4ADF856F-orig.jpg

B711C8E1-orig.jpg

Here are my 2nd year bines in Arizona. We're probably a lot farther along at this point than most of the country. Cascade on the left and Magnum on the right. Flowers to appease the SWMBO in the middle. Yielded a few dry ounces of Cascade in year one. Hoping for more out of both this year.

hops2013.jpg

First time hop grower and first year centennial hops. Only had room for two next to my ghetto potted garden. Haven't been this excited about a plant in a long time!

img2240ot.jpg

img2241cqw.jpg

Here is an update on my first year cascades! I just built the trellis system today and started training some vines!

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

Just built my trellis yesterday and first time to grow hops! Wish it was taller but can't complain!

image-1987776121.jpg

image-1555566884.jpg

image-3255564778.jpg

PackerfaninSanDiego said:
16 ft 4 x 4 on a 3 foot base which allows hops pole to hinge down when ready for harvest ......topped off with a bird house.......

You better hope there are no eggs in that house when you lower for harvest. Wear a hat. ;)

Seriously, very nice set up. I'm growing for the first time this year. Haven't quite settled on the setup.

You better hope there are no eggs in that house when you lower for harvest. Wear a hat. ;)

Seriously, very nice set up. I'm growing for the first time this year. Haven't quite settled on the setup.
My first year too...I think by the time the hops are ready for harvest, the little birdies will be long gone

Here are my one year old plants. They came up and are growing like crazy. SWMBO and I got them into the ground yesterday. I planted the rhizomes in the 5 gallon buckets one year ago. I've got high hopes for this year's harvest!

image-2986060532.jpg

image-2054168721.jpg

Funny I was looking at that shed build. Lol

Edit. Oops sorry thought was the F up shed construction pics. No offense. Just at a glance. Hell of a build. Looks good.

I looked this past weekend and I've got action here in northern Tn

Cascades always the first and best. I've got 6 other varieties all showing purple eyes.

image-1643186218.jpg

image-1777222736.jpg

Got my first rhizomes ever today...

Photo Apr 08, 11 59 40 AM.jpg

I'm in medical school, so I planted them in pots over by a community garden we have on campus. Put them in pots so I can move them easier when I move away. We'll see how they go.

I'm gonna put some cross bars on the main part of the trellis so I can let down the slack from the top of the triangle and crisscross them to get some more mileage out of what I have to work with...

Photo Apr 08, 6 01 28 PM.jpg

Left to right - Willamette - Cascade - Centennial

Got my first rhizomes ever today...

View attachment 114279

I'm in medical school, so I planted them in pots over by a community garden we have on campus. Put them in pots so I can move them easier when I move away. We'll see how they go.

I'd seriously think about getting bigger containers. One rhizome can fill up a rubbermaid in very short order with its root system. I'd recommend at a minimum a 10gal container for first year rhizomes, and even 30gal containers can be too small for 2nd year crowns.

Rubbermaid containers are cheap, you can easily make them self-watering, and cutting up and rearranging a wood pallet makes a decent enough looking box to hide the plastic container (for aesthetics).

:mug:

Back