2011 Hop Garden Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine have blown through 12' in no time. I underestimated this beast. I am thinking through temporary extensions for next season.

Most of the hops I got from hopfarmer are doing well; the only ones which didn't (the Chinook) were in a ziploc bag that wasn't closed tightly enough and mold got on them. Still, I planted them and some shoots came up but look sickly. As to whether they came shipped in an open bag or not, I'm leaning towards myself not resealing the bag after checking the hops. I'll let the rhizomes sit in the dirt until next year and we'll see if they can recover.

Taken last week. Cascade - second year - 16 ft. tall
2011-06-11_07-16-52_178.jpg

Are those tentacle looking things baby hop cones? Guess I'll have to check in them every day, not like I'm not already doing that

Edit: nevermind, completely crappy picture.

image-4003857539.jpg

Here's mine.

Golding, 1st year, started from a crown:

IMG_2194.JPG

Cascade, 1st year, started from a rhizome (this fall I'll be removing all those hostas):

IMG_2195.JPG

Shot of the whole area:

IMG_2193.JPG

2nd year growth looking real well in comparison to last year. I have 60 planted here from last year and 80 more in pots gettin ready to be planted.

hop1.jpg

hop2.jpg

hop3.jpg

hop4.jpg

IMG_4373.JPG

Brewers Gold and Kent Golding. First year growth. Rhizomes were purchased from Freshops.

I dont even know the differnece between weeds and hop sprouts- talk about suck. wtf?

Dear Mr. Rain Cloud,

F#@k you. go away.
i need the sun in order to allow my hops to grow. the amount of rain the spring is ridiculous.

thanks. now go piss off.

2011-06-27_hops_0003.jpg

2nd year centennial. They really needed to be split off into separate lines but they got ahead of me and i just let them go haha. And to think it has been a cooler summer in eastern Washington lol
2011-06-27_hops_0002.jpg

2nd year cascade, a bit slower but no different in height then the ones i saw outside of Yakima the other day. :mug:

first, the baby centennial (first year from a start from molbaks)
p_00101.jpg
p_00102.jpg

2nd, the mystery hop. unknown variety, from generously cut rhizomes from a crown given to me by a former coworker (three rhizomes, one around 8 ft, one around 7 and one just passing 3 ft)
p_00100.jpg
p_00099.jpg

hopefully i'll find my real camera soon, since my cell phone takes less-than ideal pics.

Here's my little goldings first year.
It's all I can fit in my yard... For now;)

I took this pic on Saturday... So I'm interested to see what it looks like after being away for the last couple days.

image-1021687467.jpg

Second year. From left to right: Spalt Select, EKG, Willamette, Centennial.

02.jpg

The Spalt Selects are doing great, dozens of cones from the four bines I let grow. Maybe hundreds. The Cents are doing alright, too. Dozens of big cones. The Willamette has some cones but no lateral growth. It seems to have petered out. Same goes for the EKG. It doesn't have any cones, though.

These plantings were pretty much just to see if I could grow them. No problems there. In the future I'm going to put in a proper trellis system to grow more of each variety (and other varieties), and to keep the different varieties from getting tangled together, as you can see is happening here. Also, this location doesn't get full sun. It gets morning sun until about 2:00 PM, then that side of the shed is in the shade. My "proper" hop yard in the future will be in full sun. And will allow them to grow much higher.

Here's a closeup of the Spalt Select cones:

04.jpg

And here's the Cents:

03.jpg

I hate you all.

With envy.

My first year nugget did not survive an overdosed overconcentrated insecticidal soap wash. The first year willamette did, but its new growth is only about 2 feet tall.

Centennials coming in nicely this year...

Hi Nate, looking good!

As an aside, after never even hearing of Oil City prior to this week, today is the 2nd day in a row that I have seen it mentioned on the internet.

P.S. there is a new disc golf course opening in town ;)

Roger, serious clay. I put some more compost on the mounds last night, but I didn't want to dig them up and disturb them.

Should I dig them up to improve the soil? or stick it out...? I'll have to take some more pictures as they are about 6 to 8 inches and leafy now.

Dig 'em up, re-mix that soil, and replant em. You won't be sorry.

Yes and thank you!
This is the 2nd year and the neighbors still point at me and whisper:confused:

i'm a little worried about that next year when i get a 12-16 foot pole up to grow on.... but..... i don't care that much:fro:.

About 4-5 feet of horizontal growth, over 100 buds on the whole plant, and there are two other (slower and less prolific) plants too.

image-3756335465.jpg

Here are my 2nd year hops, First photo is chinnook, 2 and 3 are centennial and 4 and 5 are cascade. The centennials are way ahead of the other three.

IMG_4604.jpg

IMG_4608.jpg

IMG_4609.jpg

IMG_4611.jpg

IMG_4614.jpg

A little late in the game - nugget & mt.hood coming in last. Nugget has seemed to respond quite well to the Tx heat and full sun.
Cheers

image-1238734681.jpg

image-710059261.jpg

zrule said:
Here are my 2nd year hops, First photo is chinnook, 2 and 3 are centennial and 4 and 5 are cascade. The centennials are way ahead of the other three.

Wow! How many bines are growing up each column?

All looking good. Here is my first year setup, the Magnums are doing the best.

I like your setup. You may want to beef up your suport on the end with the poles. Next year the bines will get heavy. I have a 30" heavy metal water pipe in the ground and it started to pull out....just saying. I have a total of 8 strings with 3 bines per string. Second year hops. The two on the end are attached to pole so they are supported by the pole. You can see my setup in my gallery. It is basically two 4X4 poles with guide wires.

How well does the dehydrator work to dry those out? I've got one in the attic that gets used one or twice a year when I make beef jerky. I may now have a another use for it!

it was my first time using it for this purpose myself. I picked at the right time, at least I think I did. Weighed the whole lot, it was about 13oz. I left quite a bit on the bine that didn't look ready.

I weighed a sample cone which was 1.5g and then put it in at 110F and after about 2.5-3 hours it was down to .6-.7g

Back