2011 - 2015 VW Passat Opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

Reaction score
Anyone here have one. Specifically looking at a 2014-2015 1.8 turbo with a 6 speed automatic (not the new DSG dual clutch). If so, what is your opinion.

Looking to replace my 2007 accord coupe, as we have a baby on the way. I would personally prefer to get another manual transmission car, but the wife has ruled that out all together.

I am looking at late model 2013+ used cars, and the only other thing I care for is the accord, but if I go that route I will only be looking at the 6 cylinder models only, as I absolutely refuse to drive anything with a CVT. These are 6-8k more expensive than a comparably equipped Passat.

Wouldn't you rather have a nice, boxy, station wagon? Or a sexy Minivan?

Kid on the way, you know!

Ha. If they still made the Passat wagon I would consider it. The wife has a small SUV that will work well for road trips, and I also have a truck. With the crazy price of trucks these days, the goal is just to have something nice for my 55-60 mile commute, that costs less to replace than the truck.

For what it's worth, I had a 2002 Volkswagen that was the least reliable car I've ever owned. Horrible.

I wasn't going to say anything, since I've only owned 1 VW in my life and that was a Dasher (Actually, I think the first few years they sold the Passat in the US they were named the Dasher, so probably a precursor to the modern model...)

It was fun, but rough. Thort-Throw stick, FWD with glass packs. Your basic starter vehicle for a poor high school kid.

But that's not what I wanted to say. What I wanted to say was that I've heard VW reliability and cost of repair is a lot worse than most cars these days. There used to be something good about German engineering, but from what I've heard those days are in the past.

You might want to do a little research into that stuff before buying.

There aren't too many cars out there that tickle my fancy anymore. I'm leaning towards fuel economy these days. Of course when my 99 Cherokee finally gives up the ghost, I'll probably be shopping for a pickup to replace it. By then my '69 Mustang should be finished! HAHAHAHA!!!! (Sorry, personal joke.)

Never heard one good thing about Passats from previous owners... I've known 4 or 5 people that I can think of off hand that have told me they regretted ever buying one.

Take that for what it's worth, but I have no experience with them.

+1, mine was around the same vintage and cost me $4,000 in repairs the first year I owned it. Traded it as quickly as I could.

What was the nature of the problems?

I've known several people to have bad luck with the older turbo motors and TDI's, however they were all short trip drivers. I know several others that have had great luck out of them, specifically high mileage in TDI's that get 25k plus per year put on them.

It's been a decade, but as I recall, there were problems with the exhaust piping (hanger bracket rusted, muffler fell off), the electronics (the cruise control and intermittent wipers never did work right, even after repeated visits to the mechanic), a bad O2 sensor (I guess that's not terribly unusual in most cars)... I can't remember the specifics of anything else, but I know I totaled it up and it was $4,000, so there must have been some engine or transmission work in there to get the total that high.

For the record, it was a gas turbo 4-cylinder (1.8L sounds right), with the automatic (Tiptronic?) transmission.

Never again. We only buy Japanese cars now. My '06 Mazda 3 is coming up on 330,000 km.

I owned a 2007 Passat Wolfsburg Edition 2.0T bought it used with 22k miles on it kept it till 120k. Only major repair was the timing belt. My wife and I both loved the car. I then bought a 2012 Passat TDI, it was ok, the plastic trim piece that runs the whole length of the dash just under the windshield creaked and made popping noises every time the temperature changed. It was extremely annoying. I also had issues with radio electronics acting up. VW had no solution and I sold it after a year.

I had a 2013 with the 2.0 TDI, 6 speed manual. Got it new because I needed reliable transportation while I was in grad school and working full time. I sold it 20 months later with 36k miles on the clock. Never had a single issue, all the maintenance was done for free by VW. It had a ton of space for cargo or passengers, but was hands down the most boring car I've ever owned. (I have a 1980 rabbit pickup with a 1.6l n/a diesel, 1990 Corrado with a big turbo diesel swap, 2000 F350 and have owned a bunch of small engine n/a VWs- still the most boring.)

For what it's worth, I had a 2002 Volkswagen that was the least reliable car I've ever owned. Horrible.

I've known several people to have bad luck with the older turbo motors and TDI's, however they were all short trip drivers. I know several others that have had great luck out of them, specifically high mileage in TDI's that get 25k plus per year put on them.

I drive a 2003 TDI (diesel) Volkswagen, bought it brand-new and it's been a great car and get's 54 MPH. I drive about 50 miles a day. ( live out in the country) I do know that short trip driving is hard on all cars.

I do know that short trip driving is hard on all cars.

Especially turbo charged cars. That's the main thing I am trying to filter though. There seems to be no shortage of folks that have had issues with VW turbo cars, but I can't seem to find anyone who actually drives them long distances everyday that this happens to.

Wife had a 2000 Passat and it was a nightmare. At about 65K (warranty was 60K) it stranded us outside Vegas and was nearly $5000 in repairs. That was water pump, thermostat, timing belt, and a get other things worth replacing since they **have to remove the entire front of the car to get to those systems**. After that, it started developing electrical gremlins.

It was a joy to drive, but if you're putting that kind of mileage on a car, I'd avoid it.

Back