2010 Oktoberfest - Munich, Germany

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went this year...it was amazing. We are planning on going next year as well. In the planning stages at the moment but will be shooting for the opening weekend.

Here are the pictures I posted on Facebook for trip: (pages 2 and 3 of the album are the Munich pictures)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=164188&id=662220468&l=3ea1878bfc

If you have any questions, PM me.

yeah, you should totally plan on going for something like the 22nd through the 26th or something Paul

The wife and I are going to O-fest for Sept. 26-28th. We've booked out flight and hotel. You know, if you haven't booked a hotel room yet, you're not going to ... at least not in Munich. We called dozens of hotels and most were already over booked for that time period. Not to mention, most hotels continue to go up in price as O-fest goes on. I believe that by the time we were leaving Munich for Venice on Wednesday the cost of the hotel rooms were over 250 euro (that's roughly 350 a night).

Hotels? Who needs hotels??? Here is where I took a short nap since the 3 blocks to my hotel was WAY to far in my condition...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4336500&l=5ffd45de61&id=662220468

I am inquiring with the hotel we stayed at now...I am hoping to get opening weekend..but I am flexible....people I am going with "INSIST" but they haven't even looked at a calendar..let alone start planning anything...

-JMW

Next year is the 200th anniversary of O-fest, so apparently they're expecting even bigger than normal crowds.

Got an email back... opening weekend is booked... during the week and other weekends there is still availability....pm me if you need the info...

Look at a map, Nancy.

Fly into Brussells, drink Belgian brews, on 'Day 3' drive to Paris, drink French wine and Saisons (4 hours). 'Day 5' drive to Dijon, more French wine and Saisons (3 1/2 hours). 'Day 6' drive to Zurich, (4 hours) 'Day 8' drive to Munich (4 hours) Octoberfest. 'Day 11' drive to Wurzburg (three hours), 'Day 12' drive to Koln (Kolsch) (4 hours), 'Day 14' to Brussels (4 hours). Get on a plane and go home.

I guess that is too stressful for your tender little constitution.

Nancy.

PTN
You surely left out an undetermined amount of hours sitting in stau's...(traffic jams)...with that schedule...;)

Yes..for the information on the hotel I used...it is 3 blocks from tents...it has a bar downstairs to "lube up" before heading to tents...

-Will

Welp... I think our itinerary is shaping up.

Arrive Munich Friday, Sept 17.
Leave Munich early Tuesday, Sept 22nd
Arrive Innsbruck, Austria, mid-day Tuesday, Sept 22nd (3 hr train ride)
Depart Innsbruch, Austria on Red Eye, Weds, Sept 23rd
Arrive Florence, Italy, early morning Thursday, Sept 24th
Leave Florence, Italy, Saturday, Sept 25th for home

Only potential change is we might just skip Innsbruck and take a red eye straight to Florence and then head home one day earlier. Again... young kids... so... SWBMO is a little touchy about being gone that long.

I really wanted to do Brussels for obvious reasons but the SWMBO has never been anywhere in Europe and really wanted to go to Italy. Since the entire first half of the vacation is a "beer thing", I couldn't fight her too much on going to Belgium for more beer.

Meh... Innsbruck and Florence won't suck.

Anyone have any information on making reservations in the tents?

Please look for the girls in my avatar. Tell them their famous now thanks to me, and give them my phone number.:D

I would cut off a testicle to go to Oktoberfest.

Garmisch-Partenkirchin is a cool little town on your way from Munich to Innsbruck, but they're prob all cool little towns. I was gonna suggest stopping at the Eagle's Nest but it looks like it's a bit out of the way (it's near Salzburg).

Just curious but are there any particular Oktoberfest activities besides sitting in a tent and drinking beer? Not that there's anything wrong with sitting around and drinking beer and singing Ein prosit over and over, but there's prob a limit on how many consecutive days I could do it. Would love to go one of these days (but not quite as badly as Wildwest).

I am planning a trip for this year but I am stuck on what festival to hit Munich or Stuttgart. From what I read Munich is more for tourist and Stuttgart is more for locals. I would prefer that but I would also like to see Munich for the sites more than the beer! Ok beer and sites. My plan is to head out Friday night after work and do a direct flight to Amsterdam. Spend Sat and Sunday in Amsterdam them head to Belgium probably Luxemburg Monday morning. Rent a car and hit as many breweries Mon, Tue, Wed, Thurs. Then head to Stuttgart preferably on a night train Thurs night staying in Stuttgart and flying home Sunday. I just don’t know if I want to cut a day from Belgium and hit Munich for a day and fly home from there or just say enough is enough and finish in Stuttgart. Or replace Stuttgart with Munich entirely.

Possible ideas:
Amsterdam
Saturday/ Sunday

Luxemburg
Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday

Stuttgart
Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Home

2nd
Amsterdam
Saturday/Sunday

Luxemburg
Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday

Stuttgart
Thursday/Friday

Munich
Saturday/Sunday/Home

3rd
Land in Amsterdam and then wake up a week later and can’t remember a thing. I don’t know if that would be considered good or bad:drunk:

Well I got all my air and hotels booked but now the agent called and said that the Munich hotel was overbooked so now we have no hotel in Munich. I have been trying to find something with 3 beds all day with no luck! :mad:
WTF is a travel agent good for?

Ryan,
Unless you're taking the wife and kids, don't worry about it to much. I went to oktoberfest in munich a few years ago when I was stationed in europe while in the military. I went sorta spur of the moment and we just got a couple rooms in a hostel no problem. Wasn't the nicest accomodations but it was good enough for the 5 hrs a day I spent there. Still might want to keep looking though.:mug:

Thinking about it makes me want to go back.

Well I got all my air and hotels booked but now the agent called and said that the Munich hotel was overbooked so now we have no hotel in Munich. I have been trying to find something with 3 beds all day with no luck! :mad:
WTF is a travel agent good for?

Try expedia. I used that last year and had no problem finding a room.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I did find a room for us on Expedia a few days ago. We will be staying at the Hotel Exquisit and it was less money than the 2 star hotel that the agent originally booked. I could have gone a lot cheaper but this is the end of a long trip and I wanted to be as close to the fest as I could get and be in a nice room to relax.

My bags are packed and my camera is cleaned and ready to be picked up from the shop. Just a 1/2 day of work tomorrow and I will be munching on some nice brownies just a few hours later! I can’t wait to see how my photos change as the day goes on in Amsterdam! :cross: My girls are pissed that they can’t come and why mom is taking them to a Dairy Farm while the boys get to hike across Europe! I guess I got to figure out what to buy for the kids while I am there.

We will try to upload some photos while we are there depending on the hotels internet. :mug:

The Customs Guys at the Munich Airport VAT redemption counter will steal your credit card number if they don't like you. Stay out of the bike lanes, they will run you down like an opossum on the Autobahn.Try the Roast Suckling Pig, it's outstanding. The beers are pretty much all the same. I ended up drinking Russe, wheat beer mixed with lemonade.

I would be interested if anyone has recommendations on Munich alternatives (I'll investigate Stuttgart from this post, as one); I have heard that other towns have large fests (obviosuly not as large) that are more local centric, helping to avoid the tourist hordes.

Thanks
GMan

You could hit up the Ayinger Brewery south of Munich. I didn't make it there last year but I hear that it's pretty cool.

Thank you for the suggestion. Have you guys been to either Stuttgart or Munich's Frühlingsfest in the Spring?

This will blow without pics. I'll have some up in the next day or so. I had an amazing time in Germany. We traveled all over starting in Koln. We bounced from bar to bar in the downtown area trying the different Kolsches. The ones we tried were Sion, Fruh and gaffel. They were all pretty good. My friend was in the army 20 years ago, so we drove through a town called Fulda. We stopped at a beer garden that was on the side of the road. Beer gardens seem to be on the side of many roads. We were drinking a beer called Kroutsberg. Sorry for the spelling. It was a little darker, maybe like a bock. pretty strong too. very good.

We then traveled through the countryside for about 3 1/2 hours which was beautiful and saw hundreds of acre's of hop fields. They were everywhere as we headed towards Munich, but we stayed in a town called Freising. It's about 1/2 hour outside of Munich. We went and did a tour and beer tasting at the Weihenstephan brewery. this brewery is the oldest in the world, from 1040. The brewery looked like Willy Wonka and the CC factory. I asked the tour guide about a few beers. He said they boil for 90 miuntes and lager for 6 weeks. The helles was made up of pilsner and Munich malt with Hallertauer hops. He really didn't have anymore info other than that. They had a beer garden and we drank alot of helles. There weiss beer was really sweet.

One of the highlights of the trip is when we went to the Andechs monastery. The beer there was amazing.. The monks have been making beer there for 6 or 700 years. Only had two available. A helles and a dunkel. Sitting outside up on a mountain drinking this beer on an 80 degree day was amazing.

We haven't even got to Oktoberfest yet.....More to come..

Awesome, I'm glad you made it to the Andechs Monastery. I heard nothing but good things about that place while I was in Munich but sadly wasn't able to get there.

germany007.jpg

After flying all night and being up all day, up for over 30 hours.
germany008.jpg

germany024.jpg

Downtown Koln drinking Frul. not too bad.
germany022.jpg

I think this is the oldest cathedral in Europe.
germany031.jpg

Couldn't get in, I think there was a private party.
germany042.jpg

This was a beer garden right off the road in Fulda. This was the place that served Kourtsberg beer. Very good. Germans have it right. Theres a daycare attached to this place.
germany045.jpg

germany046.jpg

germany043.jpg

germany037.jpg

Beautiful countryside.

Patriots are on...Post more later..

Latest posts

Back