2009 Hop garden picture thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it is nice to see that a drool :) Anyways, I have read a lot where the big growers cut theirs back at the beginning on the season as it will result in more cones. Is that what you are doing here and do you literally cut them off at the dirt or what are you doing?

Yep as they shoot up just keep cutting them back just above the dirt. About every 2-3 days. you'll go out there and see several shoots that are just going nuts, those are the ones you want to keep. no more than 3 shoots per bine.
Cheers
JJ

Although I probably planted late, Hops are sprouting here in the Southwest. Gonna be interesting to figure out how to shade them come late June and July. Any suggestions? Daily temps can reach 110 or more in late afternoon which is when the sun will be directly on my plants which were planted on the North side of my house.

Although I probably planted late, Hops are sprouting here in the Southwest. Gonna be interesting to figure out how to shade them come late June and July. Any suggestions? Daily temps can reach 110 or more in late afternoon which is when the sun will be directly on my plants which were planted on the North side of my house.

I am in Socal and my hops survived 110 degrees last year. They soaked up a lot of water, but they made it. (Tet and Northern Brewer)

100_0287.JPG

i have more pics of my build in my gallery if you want to see more

looks nice. you've got an awesome yard too...definitely looks like eastern PA where I grew up. love to go back.

(just hopefully the flyers come back and close this one out and keep the Rags out of the playoffs)

Quakertown, PA
My fathers yard i am from philly

looks nice. you've got an awesome yard too...definitely looks like eastern PA where I grew up. love to go back.

(just hopefully the flyers come back and close this one out and keep the Rags out of the playoffs)

Sorry but we clinched it :p

Finally took some pictures of mine:
DSC05017s.JPG

Cascade on the Left, Willamette on the Right

DSC05018s.JPG

Mt Hood on the Left, Nugget on the Right

For some reason, the Mt hood came up real fast and thick, but have slowed. One of the shoots has even dried up and died back. I water them about every other day (my soil drains real well) But the other shoots are fine.

You can also buy those plastic giant buckets with the rope handles on each side. They are just over $5 each. (drill holes for drainage)

And on a side note, I was driving on the 14 FWY today, and I looked to the east, and I see something that indicates someone is growing hops.
It's the same vertical beam w/ twine from bines, setup that I see some of you doing.
It was pretty snazzy lol.

just got my rhizomes and am planning on building and planting this weekend, it looks like we are finally getting in some good weather up here in northern Indiana! I will be taking pictures of the process and post them as I go. First year and looking for some yield. My hops are 4 Nugget, 2 Cascade, 2Magnum, And 4 Mt. Hood.

I have just discovered a new thread to fight the boredom at work... Thanks, hop-growers!

PS Do you think there's a way to grow a banzai-sized hop vine for an apartment?

Many more pics here Zenzele Brewery

But here is a small view....

100_4499.JPG

70 now in second year, and planting another 50 this year, 40 of the new ones are to fill out the ones that did well, Cascades, Centeniel , Chinook, and Nugget

The 4 circles are Sterling, Nugget, Cascades, Centenniel - the latter closest to camera, The Back row has Golding , Mt Hood, Willamette and the Chinooks

Then we plated 10 extra rhizomes as experimental varieties , Horizon, Galena, Perle.

These are second year cascades. Ignore all of the lettuce... it somehow made it through the winter and I haven't thinned it out yet.

You can also see the tiny Goldings in the bottom of the planter... they don't do too well here in GA.
IMG_1647.jpg

CHOPPED about 10 sprouts today, left two per rhizome... 6" - 7" is the average height, now if it would just warm up!

Hi all, good stuff here. I am going to be growing hops for the first time this year. My order came in the other day. I plan on using my deck railing to support the bines. From the ground to the top of the rail is about 10 feet of verticle run. then there is 17 ft of horizontal run back towards the house. I know the first year will be limited in growth but what about subsequent years? I have not seen any threads relating to horizontal growth. The deck faces south so getting sun is not a problem. Any advice for a newbie
Thanks
2591333330065871022CxKwRW

Granted I don't have the impressive growth that some of you have... but I hope to soon.

I transplanted my first year fuggles, and cascade (to make room for more hops to plant). Here are some of the photos of the fuggles crown.

fugglescrown.jpg

here's a shovel near by so you can judge the size

fugglescrown2.jpg

check out the buds...

fugglesbuds.jpg

I'll post more when I take em.

Granted I don't have the impressive growth that some of you have... but I hope to soon.

I transplanted my first year fuggles, and cascade (to make room for more hops to plant). Here are some of the photos of the fuggles crown.

fugglescrown.jpg

here's a shovel near by so you can judge the size

fugglescrown2.jpg

check out the buds...

fugglesbuds.jpg

I'll post more when I take em.

That is going to be a monster!

Where are you guys finding your half barrels for cheap? Or are you not?

I got mine at lowes. they had them marked at $43 each, but I talked to the manager in the garden center and he sold them to me for $25 each. I have bought a couple a few years ago to make into a fountain and they were only $19.99 each.

These are second year cascades. Ignore all of the lettuce... it somehow made it through the winter and I haven't thinned it out yet.

You can also see the tiny Goldings in the bottom of the planter... they don't do too well here in GA.

Have you trimmed the roots in your planters at all? If so, do just yank the whole thing out and trim it up and throw it back in?

My hops Planted! Finally warming up in Northern Indiana! Lots of rain today. I'm not sure if that's good for the freshly planted rhizomes? Not sure how to upload pics. Sorry i'll get some posted soon

So I had to put my plants outside yesterday and it was cold and really windy. A few bines broke. Should I trim them back, are my plants going to hate me?

Quakertown, PA
My fathers yard i am from philly

Please keep us updated on how this turns out. I'm not growing this year, but I'd like to try next year, and I'm only 5 minutes from Q-Town, so I'd like to know what to expect for our area.

Hop_Garden_2.JPG

hop_Garden_1.JPG

Hop_Bed.JPG

hops_planted.JPG

Here is my hop bed with the 12 rhizomes I got from Freshops. 2 Magnum, 2 Cascade, 4 Nugget, and 4 MT. Hood. A layer of newspaper on the bottom, sprinkled with blood and bone meal. covered with a bale of hay. On top of that more bone and Blood meal. Then the top soil mixed with some manure. I'll wait a week and add some compost and more manure to finish it of. Just rained for the entire day after I planted, and we have nothing but clay around this area, so I wont be watering for awhile. Do, you think I will have to worry about the rhizomes?

Over the weekend I built this trellis at my parent's house in Hollister, CA:
3441456481_50e791ac2f_b.jpg

I used 3/16" and 1/8" cable and each post is made out of two 16' 2X4s nailed together.

that is very nice bro. how tall and how deep did you dig? I'm planning on nailing two 8' together and digging around four feet. First year hops so don't expect to need more than 12'.

that is very nice bro. how tall and how deep did you dig? I'm planning on nailing two 8' together and digging around four feet. First year hops so don't expect to need more than 12'.

Last year all but one of my first year hops topped out at 18+

I would advise on planning for 20'

I used 4x4x16' posts with the end posts tied down 3 ways and the middle to each side and tensioning via top line between the poles.
Note I used Cement bases with 4x4 metal posts for anchoring my posts "Above" ground, to get the maximum hight 15' aprox.

I think my links are on the 2nd or 3rd page.
Cheers

All 11 of my rhizomes have sprouted! I decided to start hardening them for planting and set them outside before I left for work this morning. I took the following pictures this morning before I took them outside.

Front Row: Northern Brewer, Hallertauer, Centennial, Golding
Back Row: Centennial, Cascade, Northern Brewer
IMG_3066.jpg

Chinook, Tettnang
IMG_3067.jpg

Nugget
IMG_3068.jpg

Willamette
IMG_3069.jpg

Ok, so these pics aren't that great...and since the ground was already barren from clearing out the timber last summer, there is little contrast (in the pics) from where I tilled and planted to everything else. But, this gives you guys an idea of what I'm working with...

First are pics of the two rows the first is a row of 10 Centennial hills. The second is a row of 10 willamette hills.
10Cents4-17.jpg

Ignore the shadows of the trees you see over the hills. These six are old growth locust that will be coming out (and likely turned into Hop support poles next year), also this picture was taken at 8am so the shadows are a little deceiving. The locust behind me in these pics are over 30" tall, they are 10-12" around at the base and still 8"+ 20' up the tree. I have about 75 of these laying down that are already dry and ready to be used for fence posts or hop poles.

10Wills4-17.jpg

I know you really can't see anything in those pics, but hopefully in 2-3 weeks I'll be able to post the exact same pic with plants emerged.

The next two are pictures of the entire "hopyard" (potentially anyway....this is an area that we cleared last summer on the edge of our back yard...we really didn't "need" anymore backyard as ours was plenty for our needs but the forest was nothing but scrub brush and black locust, so it needed at the least to be cleared and replanted with hardwoods.....I'm thinking hops is a better option.

FutureExpansion4-17.jpg

futureexpansion4-17b.jpg

Back