20+ year old honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penfold

Reaction score
hi I had about 18lb of 20+ year old honey given to me. I have started Brewing some Mead 6 weeks ago. I’ve made 5 gallons and added Raisins and 6 oranges. It’s just about stopped bubbling. I used a Turbo yeast in it and the sediment is about 2cm deep at the bottom of the bin. The mixture is a rather dark Tan colour. I took a small sample of it and gave it to a friend of mine (guinea pig) he tasted it and said it was rather strong and took his breath away. He said it burnt going down like whiskey. Have I done something wrong.

I have not used it but I have heard Turbo yeast causes this type of flavor-stripping and harshness. I do not think it is recommended for anything except pre-production of liquor. Someone will know.

It’s not an ideal yeast. But also, anything that strong is going to benefit from some time. I would think this would be better in a year, perhaps even two.

This is an interesting thread to me, I have 50#s of 20 year old bulk honey, I think from commercial pollinator bees, strong and dark, of no pedigree. Any ideas if mead made of this could taste OK?

Original intent was to add to hard cider production, used to put up a couple 50 gallon kegs a year, but I no longer have access to apples or cider in bulk quantities.

Honey keeps forever if it's not exposed to moisture.

Try a small batch traditional mead.

The mixture is a rather dark Tan colour. I took a small sample of it and gave it to a friend of mine (guinea pig) he tasted it and said it was rather strong and took his breath away. He said it burnt going down like whiskey.

The yeast probably threw some off flavors; if you can get any more honey, use a recommended yeast, staggered nutrient additions, degas twice a day and try to control the fermentation temperature. Don't dump the recent batch! Let it age a few months and then siphon it to 1 gallon jugs, put them away and check them once a year. Eventually, the harsh alcohol notes will subside.

Back