<$20 pH meters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwill07

Reaction score
there are a bunch of pH meters on Amazon for <$20. Are these complete garbage?

I understand they may not actually be accurate to the hundredths (x.xx). Is that kind of precision really necessary, especially on a homebrew scale? I've been making fairly good beer for years without even having a meter. If i check it and it's good to +/- 0.1, wouldn't that be a step up from no meter?

I also understand that these may not last very long, but when it costs 1/5th of a nicer meter - is it really worth buying a better meter?

Precision isn't nearly as important as accuracy. Can they be accurately calibrated is the real question. For those prices, I have my doubts. I'd like to hear from someone with first hand experience though.

I have a cheap meter from Amazon - Dr Meter I believe, and it seems to work OK. I calibrate it before each brew with the 7.0 solution and it has been working for over a year.

I'm really just looking to make sure I'm in range and not too concerned about being to many places right of the decimal.

I bought one off Amazon for $15. I cant recall the name but it was a red pocket pen type. It worked ok but the readings wandered all over the place. I would calibrate, take a reading, then back into the cal solution. It would be way off. Example, I'd cal at 4.01, take a reading, then back to the cal solution. It may now read 4.50, maybe 3.77...all over the place.

Amazon has a 30 day return policy, and just as luck will have it, the meter completely fritzed out 45 days after purchase. It showed all 6's and wouldn't budge. Trash can time.

I bought a Hach Pocket Pro plus PH and have been extremely impressed. Buy this and only cry once.

Sometimes you get lucky but the probability is much higher that you will be disappointed with inability to hold calibration (instability: see pH Calibration Sticky under Brewing Science) as described in #4 being common.

On HBT three meters at near the $100 price point have been pretty thoroughly vetted using the stability test of the sticky. These are the Hach, the Miwaukee and the Omega. There have been disappointments here too but the companies, especially Hach, have stood behind their products and though several have experienced inconvenience most have wound up with a good, working meter. There are many other meters in the same price range and some may be just as good or better than these three but no one has chosen to try and test any of them other than these.

I have a cheap meter from Amazon - Dr Meter I believe, and it seems to work OK. I calibrate it before each brew with the 7.0 solution and it has been working for over a year.

I'm really just looking to make sure I'm in range and not too concerned about being to many places right of the decimal.

does it hold calibration? As in, if you calibrate before you brew, will it be in calibration 6 hours later?

I bought one off Amazon for $15. I cant recall the name but it was a red pocket pen type. It worked ok but the readings wandered all over the place. I would calibrate, take a reading, then back into the cal solution. It would be way off. Example, I'd cal at 4.01, take a reading, then back to the cal solution. It may now read 4.50, maybe 3.77...all over the place.

Amazon has a 30 day return policy, and just as luck will have it, the meter completely fritzed out 45 days after purchase. It showed all 6's and wouldn't budge. Trash can time.

I bought a Hach Pocket Pro plus PH and have been extremely impressed. Buy this and only cry once.

yeah, this is a problem and is my concern. I'm not all that concerned about 4.01 floating between 3.9 and 4.1, but this is too much. I think repeatability to the 0.1 range would be sufficient, if it's closer to +/- 0.5, that is not good.

Floating between 3.9 and 4.1 represents error of 0.2 which can make a heck of a lot of difference in the finished beer. With ±0.02 technical buffers you should be able to read pH to about ±0.02 or even a little better with care. Besides that, a meter than wanders 0.2 pH units is clearly unstable.

does it hold calibration? As in, if you calibrate before you brew, will it be in calibration 6 hours later?

I try and brew once a month and each time I take it out to calibrate it is usually reading between 6.9 to 7.1 It has never drifted more than that over the course of a few weeks to a month.

I'm sure these low end things are a hit and miss and perhaps I just got the lucky unit but it seems ok for my current needs.

yeah, this is a problem and is my concern. I'm not all that concerned about 4.01 floating between 3.9 and 4.1, but this is too much. I think repeatability to the 0.1 range would be sufficient, if it's closer to +/- 0.5, that is not good.

I bought my el cheepo thinking I'd get +/- .1 and it was more than that. It was more like +/- .5 which was more than I expected. BUT it was not a consistent offset so I couldn't build that in to my readings.

I wanted it primarily to test kettle wort souring with lacto so I'd know when to boil. I really need a meter to gauge this since the unfermented sugars make the wort sweet, and with the lacto souring at the same time, it is really hard to gauge the ph sour level by taste alone. I ended up wasting the $15 when I could have applied that to the Hach Ph meter which is serving me flawlessly.

I usually go for Hanna, Ohaus, or Oakton brands. I'm currently using the Oakton EcoTestr 2 to measure soil pH. At $50, it's held the calibration for multiple weeks and gives consistent reading. The biggest drawback I see is that the electrode isn't replaceable. But it's designed for field work so it's waterproof and dust-proof. http://www.4oakton.com/proddetail.asp?parent=2&prod=354&seq=1&Totrec=21

Where did you get your Hach @Morrey?

I thought I may find it on Amazon with free prime shipping but it was not available at the time of my order. If you are a prime member, you may want to check it out now.

I ended up buying it direct from Hach on their website. Their customer support is really outstanding as I had a basic operation question. The meter doesn't have detailed instructions included, only a quick start guide. I was told to go to their website where you can read pdf directions in detail. The meter is outstanding, quick and simple to use after you get the hang of it.

I bought a hach pocket pro plus a few months ago and have used it a half a dozen times after initial calibration it hasn't wandered more than .02 in solution. I'm a firm believer or in buying quality goods once rather than cheap goods multiple times.

Any pH meter that costs less than $300 is a toy. Honestly, everyday use field testers have electrodes that cost $300. That's not lab quality I'm talking about, that's what your lawncare company is carrying around. Ballpark is too strong a word. I thought it would be neat to carry around one of those pen types to ballpark tanks rather than run samples back to the lab- results are shockingly unreliable and they do not have adequate calibration checks. You won't know when it's lying to you, I bet a random list of feasible beer pH's would match a $20 pH meters accuracy. Paper strips is the best you can do on a budget. Also, a 1 point calibration is useless. A plane crosses 1000 feet in altitude, so what? You need to know if 10 seconds ago it was on the ground or at 20000 feet to fully grasp the situation.

Sorry for ranting but I'm sick of these companies making toys and selling them as scientific equipment, digital read outs and calibration doesn't make something accurate. Stick to papers for budget pH testing.

Something to think about if you are looking to brew long term, you can always try and get lucky on ebay and find a decent meter, and then buy a decent probe for about 90 bucks. I got a used Beckman-Coulter Omega meter that we use regularly at my job. It's gonna give you good electronics. Then the probe doesn't have to be double junction or anything crazy. Plus if all you're doing is checking pH one a month to brew the probe itself is gonna degrade in a few years just from age. But if you have decent electronics that will last you longer than your probe. So at least then you aren't having to throw those combo models away because they aren't generic to fit any meter.

I see those Beckman 295 omegas on Ebay for 50 bucks and they are what we use in our lab to run all sorts of probes not just pH.

Any pH meter that costs less than $300 is a toy.

There was a time, not that long ago, when this was true but it isn't any more. There are a couple of meters out there at around $150 that are pretty good - certainly good enough for brewing.

Honestly, everyday use field testers have electrodes that cost $300. That's not lab quality I'm talking about, that's what your lawncare company is carrying around.
There are plenty of lab quality electrodes that cost around $300 (e.g. the Hach Platinum series that I use for all my lab work: $329 - lasts over 5 years, you cannot foul the junction, stable as a rock) and some field/factory electrodes that cost more. And there are lab electrodes that cost more too. Higher $ do not guarantee better accuracy and are usually associated with additional toughness for rough handling circumstances, signal conditioning in the electrode itself (simple serial digital interface to the 'meter') etc.

Ballpark is too strong a word. I thought it would be neat to carry around one of those pen types to ballpark tanks rather than run samples back to the lab- results are shockingly unreliable and they do not have adequate calibration checks.
You can obtain reliable readings with a pocket meter for half of $300 but you have to obtain a good meter, calibrate it properly and check on its stability. There are notes on how to do all that in a Sticky under Brewing Science. If a meter is given a proper cal and if it repeatedly reads the correct pH in a buffer over an extended period of time (your mission time) then it is accurate and you don't care how much it costs. As a pH meter is calibrated before use it is dead nuts on at the completion of calibration provided you wait long enough that the electrode is at equilibrium. This often takes a few minutes, even with a new electrode, and failure to wait long enough or to let the meter decide when to take the cal reading rather than making that decision your self based on observation is probably the biggest cause of poor pH readings with equipment which can potentially give much better results.

You won't know when it's lying to you,
You will if you do a cal check (not a full calibration) from time to time. But you will have verified that your meter is stable with a stability test before you go into the field with it and thus be confident in what it will do. It is, nevertheless, wise to trust but verify!

I bet a random list of feasible beer pH's would match a $20 pH meters accuracy. Paper strips is the best you can do on a budget.
At the $20 price point I agree but you don't need to spend $300 or more (who needs an RS232 interface, a memory which records the time, date, calibration parameters, mV and operator's name for each of 2000 readings?).

Also, a 1 point calibration is useless.
One point calibrations are fine if you are taking measurements near the pH of the buffer you used for the calibration. In brewing we are working about half way between and so must have 2 point. Of the 3 $120 meters we have vetted here on HBD (Hach, Milwaukee, Omega) all are capable of 2 (and 3 but 3 point cal doesn't buy you anything) calibration.

calibration doesn't make something accurate.
Calibration does make something accurate if the something is stable. If, IOW, a pH electrode reads 20 mV at 7.00 pH that can be calibrated out and the meter will be accurate 4 hour later if the electrode still reads 20 mV in 7.00 pH buffer. If it reads 30 mV the electrode has drifted. That is the problem with cheap meters. Their electrodes are not stable. State of the art with electronics today is such that the meter itself is not the problem.

Stick to papers for budget pH testing.
'Budget' hasn't been defined but if you can't afford $120 for a pH meter I always say forego 20 $6.00 pints at your local, use the money to buy a meter and brew an extra 20 pints over the course of the next couple of months. If you cannot do this don't use papers. They notoriously inaccurate. You would probably do better to rely on the predictions of one of the several available brewing calculators.

Something to think about if you are looking to brew long term, you can always try and get lucky on ebay and find a decent meter, and then buy a decent probe for about 90 bucks. I got a used Beckman-Coulter Omega meter that we use regularly at my job. It's gonna give you good electronics. Then the probe doesn't have to be double junction or anything crazy. Plus if all you're doing is checking pH one a month to brew the probe itself is gonna degrade in a few years just from age. But if you have decent electronics that will last you longer than your probe. So at least then you aren't having to throw those combo models away because they aren't generic to fit any meter.

I see those Beckman 295 omegas on Ebay for 50 bucks and they are what we use in our lab to run all sorts of probes not just pH.

Any suggestions for a decent probe? I read that the 295 has temperature correction, but needs a 3 in 1 probe.

Also, how old are the 295's on Ebay? I downloaded a 295 user manual, and it has a 1999 publish date. Is tech this old even worth the money?

Any suggestions for a decent probe? I read that the 295 has temperature correction, but needs a 3 in 1 probe.

Also, how old are the 295's on Ebay? I downloaded a 295 user manual, and it has a 1999 publish date. Is tech this old even worth the money?

pH meters aren't that complicated. It has high quality electronics so that it can read the small current generated by the probe, that's what counts.

If the meter doesn't have a separate port for an auto temp correction, then you may need a 3 in 1 probe if you want temp correction. I think those are the ones we use at work and we have a separate port for ATC. At work we use double junction probes which cost around $600, not needed for homebrewing. But you also don't need temp correction for homebrewing in my opinion. Just cool off your sample and use a thermometer.

Quality probes are anything from Orion, Milwaukee, Beckman, Hach or some other good brand. Something like this is very good for your use:
https://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Scientific-Orion-Refillable-Combination/dp/B004PYDYBO/ref=sr_1_4?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1472949021&sr=1-4&keywords=pH+electrode+orion#customerReviewshttp://

That one is single junction so you need to add AgCl solution periodically, or you can do an epoxy one which probably won't last as long but is maintenence free. You will need KCl storage solution, you can buy the powder and make it up with distilled water it will last a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
check out my thread here for some info (not conclusive by any means):
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7696664#post7696664

FWIW - I would recommend springing for a quality water report and using water adjustment software such as Bru'n water over just buying a nice pH meter.

I think that a water report with a cheap meter will get you in the ballpark, and once you decide to spring for a nice pH meter you can really tweak things to your liking...

My wife got a $20 amazon pH meter..total crap. Calibration is all over the place, even after recalibrating it reads the calibration solutions off by 1.0+, and distilled water at 8.something.

So in short, don't waste your time/money. Borrow a decent one, use the paper strips calibrated for the mash pH range, or bite the bullet and get yourself a decent one.

It has high quality electronics so that it can read the small current generated by the probe, that's what counts.
Yes, high quality electronics for 1999. So you have no problem with potentially a 17 year old meter? Just making sure before I spend $50

Thanks for the probe suggestions

Yes, high quality electronics for 1999. So you have no problem with potentially a 17 year old meter? Just making sure before I spend $50

Thanks for the probe suggestions

We regularly use 20 year old meters with new probes at my work no problem. Do you change out your voltmeter if it is over 10 years old? These are solid state electronics, not tubes or anything that will go bad. Electronics generally work fine as long as they are stored properly and aren't plugged in during a lightning storm.

We regularly use 20 year old meters with new probes at my work no problem. Do you change out your voltmeter if it is over 10 years old? These are solid state electronics, not tubes or anything that will go bad. Electronics generally work fine as long as they are stored properly and aren't plugged in during a lightning storm.

Thanks. I was more concerned with the LCD screen, push buttons, plug ports, etc. I'll give it a go.

I got this off of ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/122019620741?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It adjust the PH due to temps. Easy one button calibration. Just need to buy the calibration fluid. You can make storage solution by adding a little table salt to the PH 4 solution.

The only down side to this is it took almost 2 weeks to get. Definitely better than those cheap $20 units you see on Amazon.

Have you used it yet? I'd be interested in the results

The only down side to this is it took almost 2 weeks to get. Definitely better than those cheap $20 units you see on Amazon.

There is another downside. The specified resolution is 0.01 pH and the specified accuracy 0.1 pH. This means that it is unstable. This is typical of these cheap Chinese knockoffs.

Take the 20 bucks and buy a 1# bag of hop then download Bru-n-water. Save yourself the headache! You will be just as accurate using a good spread sheet as you will with a 20 dollar meter. If it bothers you and you have to know your Ph than save the 20 bucks and when you get 120 buy one of the three or four that get good reviews here.

Back