20 Minute boil for Gose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shwagger

Reaction score
Recipe from BYO has a 20 minute boil for a basic gose.

That correct? Not a typo? I guess the beer comes in at 1.039 OG. Session beer?

All grain:

3lb Pilsener
6lb Red Wheat
1oz German Selct Hops
.5oz salt and coriander,e ach
WLP029
WLP677 after 2 days of fermentation

Recipe from BYO has a 20 minute boil for a basic gose.

That correct? Not a typo? I guess the beer comes in at 1.039 OG. Session beer?

I just did a kettle sour that was only initially boiled 10 mins then soured then boiled another 10 mins.

I was worried about DMS from such a short boil but even trying to search for it I really can't find it.

Caveat is that I also threw in keffir lime leaf, coriander and a moderate dry hop of moteuka. So maybe DMS is there but just flying under all that.

I just did a kettle sour that was only initially boiled 10 mins then soured then boiled another 10 mins.

I was worried about DMS from such a short boil but even trying to search for it I really can't find it.

Caveat is that I also threw in keffir lime leaf, coriander and a moderate dry hop of moteuka. So maybe DMS is there but just flying under all that.

What malts? The one above has some pilsner. But maybe the sour masks everything. 20 minutes seems awfully short

I boil my berliners for 15 mins, sour for a few days, boil again for 15 mins and rack to fermenter/yeast.

I'm going to do a 2.5 gallon batch per the recipe posted and see what happens. Bottled and sampled within a month or two.

I'm curious about the DMS impact

I'm going to do a 2.5 gallon batch per the recipe posted and see what happens. Bottled and sampled within a month or two.

I wouldn't worry about it. Tons of homebrewers and commercial brewers are making quick lacto sours with a very short boil or no boil at all. My recipe is 50/50 Pilsner malt and wheat, so much more pilsner than the recipe you're looking at, and I have had no DMS issues. Like I said, I mash for an hour, boil for 15, sour for a few days, boil again for 15 minutes, and then rack onto yeast. I would be careful with the hops, as they can hinder the ability of the lacto to sour. If you boil after souring, that is the best time to add hops if you want them. I have not used the lacto strain that you're planning on using...but I would recommend using Omega Labs lacto strain, I have been extremely pleased with it after being disappointed by Wyeast's lacto strain.

Thanks for the tips. This does not call for a kettle sour, it's all in the fermenter. Very curious recipe I've been wanting to try for some time.

I'll check out other strains, thanks

At the 2.5 gallon size, you don't have to worry about DMS. My guess is even up to 10 or 15 gallons, you probably still don't have to worry about DMS. It's more of an issue for commercial breweries.

Aaaannnd now that I wrote this, went home and pulled a glass and I'm definitely getting some sulphur. So YMMV. Probably would increase the boil time a bit to be on the safe side if/when I rebrew this next summer.

Question:

What, if any, impacts will there be by not boiling post lacto addition? All the yeast and souring is done in the fermenter and then bottled. That's its

Mostly it will take a lot longer. Lacto is inhibited greatly by alcohol and by hops (if you're using any). The reasoning behind kettle souring is to sour it quickly without the presence of these things and to stop the lacto fermentation by boiling once it's hit the desired level. What you're describing is the more traditional method of things like lambic, Flemish red, etc where a mixed culture is used in primary but it takes much much longer to develop.

Time I've got. Should I throw some of that stop ferment stuff in there once the sourness gets to where I like it?

By a lot longer I mean years. No need to use anything to stop fermentation if you sour post boil. Read up on Flanders red or lambic brewing. Lots of resources out there.

Latest posts

Back