2-yr old Aged white cheddar, with habanero and jalapeno, HOT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
2 yrs old. Just pulled a wedge out of the fridge. It's sharp, and the peppers will make you look for a drink. I like the hot stuff. Very tasty, if you like sharp cheddar and peppers.

I don't have a record of this make in my notebook, which is weird since I always keep notes. I've got two large wedges of this still. Opened this vac bag today for use while watching hockey.

Though in a vac bag, the rind has a patina of white mold, probably p. camemberti (I make camemberts pretty regularly).

full

Oh man, Habanero AND Jalapeño? that looks and sounds really tasty !
I routinely buy 2-4 pounds of cheddar and age it some more.... I have some Cabot cheddar that's been in my beer fridge for 2+ years.

What kind of beer are you pairing that with Andrew?

looks great to me. If my wife wasn't dairy intolerant, I'd love to try my hand at cheese making..

That looks great! I lost my source for good non-ultra pasteurized milk and haven't made cheese in a long time but this makes me want to hunt down some good milk and try again. It sounds fantastic.

I lost my source for good non-ultra pasteurized milk and haven't made cheese in a long time but this makes me want to hunt down some good milk and try again.

I have a hard time believing you don't have any friends who are dairy farmers.

@Yooper how far east in the UP are you? I just moved away from northeastern wisconsin and I know there are some dairies around there. I think the cheese plant my wife worked at even bought milk from dairies in the UP.

Most dairy farmers with some common sense don't want to sell raw milk to strangers, they can get into big trouble for it. I know there was a dairy farm somewhere around the Mankato, MN area that started selling raw milk and when customers got sick they got in legal trouble.

I believe the rules are that if a cheesemaker uses raw milk to make cheese that it has to age for at least 60 days, maybe longer, to give the bad bugs a chance to die. Or you could always pasteurize it yourself. I forget the exact temperatures, but I think you can get the milk up to 145F for 30 to 35 minutes, or 165F for about 5 minutes.

Last edited:
I can’t find a source for raw milk- believe me I’ve tried! I used to have some (by owning a share in a herd, the only legal way to do it in Michigan) but no longer I’m afraid.

looks great to me. If my wife wasn't dairy intolerant, I'd love to try my hand at cheese making..

Lactose, the sugar found in milk is usually the culprit. Natural aged cheese such as Parmesan, Cheddar and Swiss have very low levels of lactose and can be digested by many people with lactose intolerance. Check the sugar level listed on the label. If the sugar is listed as zero, then the cheese contains no more than half a gram of lactose per ounce.

If she suffers from a milk protein allergy, then please disregard.

Back