2 Weeks In Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggerboat88

Reaction score
So I've had my brown ale in the primary for just over 2 weeks now. I took a sample last night to take a reading and dropped my hydrometer which shattered all over the kitchen floor...wonderful.

I'm wondering if I'm safe to rack to a secondary? I'm still getting bubbling every 1-2 minutes from the blow-off tube which seems odd to me but could just be excess CO2. I was planning on racking to a secondary and adding some coffee. Am I pretty much all clear to do so?

I unfortunately do not have a backup hydrometer and won't be able to get to my homebrew shop in the near future.

Bubbles can indicate fermentation or off-gassing. No way to tell without a hydro or refractometer.

On average, with a typical OG, 2 weeks is normally safe, but it's always much better to be sure. Leave your beer alone until you can get a new hydrometer. It will continue to improve in the meantime.

You're in no rush to rack or bottle at this point. Patience.

(Revvy should be in here shortly.......)

Yea let it hang for a little bit, its a shame your hydro broke but hey now you can justify buying a Refractometer now amirite?

well its a brown ale, so it won't be 'see through' anyways, so you could skip the secondary, do another week in primary and then bottle or keg.

it'll still be a nice clear beer, although if you have problems racking sediment in primary, you might wanna do the secondary.

nothing wrong with either approach. many swear by no-secondary, many swear by always-secondary.

if your beer is good and you're happy, who cares!?

Latest posts

Back