2 Valves, same issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzamora3

Reaction score
So I purchased the flex keg system from NB. Kegged my first batch and everything was okay. Went to keg my second batch and as i filled it with co2, the relief valve on the lid was leaking.. I tried removing it multiple times and still after a minute or two, it'd start leaking. So called NB and they sent a new valve. Same issue!! I went out and bought some keg lub and was able to find a workaround.. I can screw in the valve with keg lube on o ring and no leaks.. But once i pull the valve to release pressure, it starts to leak. Any ideas what might be causing this? Two brand new lids with the same issue seem unlikely to me.

New lids or new valves?

If the valve seat in the lid is pitted, scratched, dented, or otherwise deformed then you can change valves til the cows come home and it will continue to leak. If they sent you new lid assemblies and those both leaked, they got a bad batch of lids, or you got really unlucky.

They sent me a whole new lid. The replacement lid had a relief valve that is all metal while the original had some plastic at the top. Would be a bummer if that was the case.. So if valve seat is deformed, how would that explain the initial sealing? if I screw it on and don't touch it then it seals fine. Once I release any pressure then it starts to leak

It doesn't, especially with new lids.

What you're describing sounds almost like the spring on the relief is garbage and can't close properly against pressure.

Latest posts

Back