2-Row vs. Pale Malth + BeerSmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htm6934

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of building a recipe and found one for a two hearted clone I want to copy. The first two base grains are the following:

• 10 lb (4.5 kg) | Briess Two-row Brewers Malt (1.8°L)
  • 2.83 lb (1.3 kg) | Briess Pale Malt (3.5°L)
The problem is that beersmith2 ONLY has "Pale Malt (2 Row) US". I don't see just a "pale malt" grain available in BeerSmith.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/bells-two-hearted-ale-clone/

Has anyone else encountered this or does anyone else know a substitution to use in BeerSmith?

Thanks!

you could either make a new ingredient or just use the rahr 2-row in place of the briess 2-row.
easiest way to make the new ingredient is to copy/paste the rahr and edit the copy to match.
the color matches right out the gate.

I only use Beersmith 2 for Android. There is a section install add-ons where you can install 66 malts from Briess company. After that the Pale malt appears in the list.

Pale ale malts are typically made of 2-row barley if that is what you ask (that's why it says 2-row). It is kilned a little bit darker than the std 2-row(brewer's malt) and it probably has slightly richer and more bisquit -like taste.

Last edited:
If you are trying to add both Briess malts to your Beersmith recipe then you should first add the Briess malts to your ingredients library.
1) Click Add-Ons
2) in the popup window select Briess Malts and then click the "+" Add button

Once you have the Briess Malts added you should see both base grains when you go to add a grain to your recipe. You can search by Briess and then select either Brewers Malt w-Row or Pale Ale Malt 2-Row

I only use Beersmith 2 for Android. There is a section install add-ons where you can install 66 malts from Briess company. After that the Pale malt appears in the list.

Pale ale malts are typically made of 2-row barley if that is what you ask (that's why it says 2-row). It is kilned a little bit darker than the std 2-row(brewer's malt) and it probably has slightly richer and more bisquit -like taste.

I didn't even realize there was an Android version. I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

If you are trying to add both Briess malts to your Beersmith recipe then you should first add the Briess malts to your ingredients library.
1) Click Add-Ons
2) in the popup window select Briess Malts and then click the "+" Add button

Once you have the Briess Malts added you should see both base grains when you go to add a grain to your recipe. You can search by Briess and then select either Brewers Malt w-Row or Pale Ale Malt 2-Row

Thanks tneary. I'll try this out as well.

Back