2 recipe questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madman960

Reaction score
1st question,

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde Easter Sunday. It sat in the primary until 2 days ago when I racked it to the keg. It was in the kitchen on the floor the whole time. Will there be any unwanted tastes or smells? I have made it previously but always bottled after 10 days.

2nd question is:

My dad drinks horrible beer IMO. Milwaukees best or best ice. What would be a good first choice homebrew for him to try? I was thinking of making another batch of the CB but adding flaked rice or corn.

Thanks for any input.

Bill

CB should be right up his alley then. If you made it with us05 it'll really be bmc'ish, which is how I like it. Cream of Three Tramps would be another good one to pulpit down his beerhole.

as long as during that first week or so of fermentation you had good temperature control, the amount of time after that shouldnt create off flavors really. But the hop character will be very diminished. If anything, id give that one to your dad since itll be much closer to his tastes than a fresh batch.

good luck converting your dad. Ive found that most BMC-only drinkers have no idea that they actually do like good beer. They just think that craft beer is solely guinness and IPAs

1st question,

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde Easter Sunday. It sat in the primary until 2 days ago when I racked it to the keg. It was in the kitchen on the floor the whole time. Will there be any unwanted tastes or smells? I have made it previously but always bottled after 10 days.

2nd question is:

My dad drinks horrible beer IMO. Milwaukees best or best ice. What would be a good first choice homebrew for him to try? I was thinking of making another batch of the CB but adding flaked rice or corn.

Thanks for any input.

Bill

Your CB was in primary for 4.5 months?

Crazy.

If your beer was in primary for that long (4.5 months), there are chances it will develop fusel alcohols. Despite the burnt feeling in your throat after drinking it, it might cause a headache afterwards as well.

1) Give it a go and try
2) You are better off buying commercial beer for him, but if not, try something with 2row and rice (80:20), keep the OG below 1.050, don't hop too much, make sure it finishes very dry, make sure to fine it nice and clear. If you want to risk it you could make a Saison with 100% Pilsner malt, 25IBU of just bittering hops, OG ~ 1.042, and ferment it low.

Got the keg going. Smell is nice, but has a kinda sour taste. Can't quite put my finger on it. Not overwhelming but definitely present. Guess it's time to brew something with a quick turnaround. Either a blonde or pale ale. Anybody have a good SMASH with a quick turnaround, that they don't mind sharing? Best yeast strains for quick ales? Any and all help appreciated. Working 75 hours this week and next.

Thanks all.

Bill

OZM, thanks for the recipe. May try it both ways. I have 3 kegs and 2 are empty.

Gavin, the 5 month primary was not intentional. Hopefully it never happens again.

Thanks again to everyone that answered.

Bill

Also got everything to make The Good Life Pale Ale from The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing 3rd edition. Recipe on pages 294 & 295.

Was 30 minutes late for work getting everything. Go beer.

Back