2 months in the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Hey, my oatmeal stout has been in the secondary for about 2 months, should I be worried at all? I am planning to bottle this coming weekend finally.

Pol

Sweet, yah it has been at about 65 degrees in the dark for 2 months, there is almost no trub or cake... it was in the primary for 2 weeks... it was pretty clean when it went in.

I had a problem with my latest oak-bourbon imperial stout. Zero carbonation and it sat in the secondary 6 weeks. I think dropping the temp over a few days settled out a lot of yeast. Keep your temp relatively steady and I bet you'll be ok.

My record for a stout was nearly 6 months. I had to add some dry yeast to mine at bottling, because I was worried their wouldn't be enough left to ferment the priming sugar. Otherwise, no problems, and it was definitely my best stout yet. I really think a long, volume conditioning period in the secondary is the way to go for stouts, porters, big IPA's, etc. Yours should be great.

My BeastII is still sitting in secondary for a couple of weeks now, going to keep it there for another couple of months! Was in primary for three months.
rdwhahb and all that...

After my son was born, I didn't have time to rack and a beer sat in secondary for 4 months. Turned out fantastic.

Cheesefood said:
After my son was born, I didn't have time to rack and a beer sat in secondary for 4 months. Turned out fantastic.

what he said.....

keep the oxygen and the nasties out and your good to go. especially on those bigger beers.

Back