2 lessons learned. Or the noob mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reinheitsgebot

Reaction score
So I racked my first brew today to secondary. A shiny new 5 G glass fermenter. I carefully tried to place the bung into the top. Well, the friendly LHBS gave me the wrong stopper, but I also made the mistake of trying to put it in wet (full of sterilizer). It kept popping back out, so I just pushed a little harder.

Lesson 1: my three year old can now say f*****g son of a beach.

Lesson 2: always dry said stopper before inserting.

Of all the awesome info on here, THAT one I did not see........

If you're looking for advice, I would say to just cover the opening of the carboy with tinfoil, and extract the stopper with a plastic bag after you rack. If you need to know how to do that, let us know and someone will show you the instruction video on how to do that.

If you're just venting, vent on brother! Wet stoppers are a pain. :eek:

Welcome to the "my stopper is in my carboy, is my beer ruined?" club.

Wrap some plastic wrap around the opening with a small hole. It will be fine.

Consider your son/daughter advanced for his/her age. :D

My first time with a carboy bung, it kept sliding out so I pushed it in too far. It didn't fall in, but the hole in the center was collapsed and I couldn't fit an airlock. So I ended up ruining a nice hanger (not the disposable dry cleaner kind, the wooden kind with a thick metal hook) trying to get the bung out.

Drying the sides of the bung works, as does wiping it with rubbing alcohol, which dries quickly. Or you could take my approach and switch to carboy caps. :)

He is 3 he dosent fully understand what you said or what it means yet, don't make a big deal about it and he will soon forget it.

Yes, leave it in there. 99% chance it'll be fine. The alternative is to sanitize your whole arm and stick it in there to grab it, which leaves you with only a 95% chance it'll be fine.

Seriously, it's in there now--if anything was on it to infect things, it's happened already. And there probably wasn't. Relax, put some tinfoil (sanitized) over the top, don't worry, and have a home brew.

I am the only one who still giggles, years into homebrewing, everytime he hears the word "bung"?

P.S. I'm sooooo wasted.

P.P.S. I have found with slippery bungs, just kind of stick it in 3/4 of the way in, wait fifteen minutes, stick it all the way in, and it is fine.

P.P.P.S. Still giggling

I am the only one who still giggles, years into homebrewing, everytime he hears the word "bung"?

P.S. I'm sooooo wasted.

P.P.S. I have found with slippery bungs, just kind of stick it in 3/4 of the way in, wait fifteen minutes, stick it all the way in, and it is fine.

P.P.P.S. Still giggling

bungs wasn't doing it for me...

...but slippery bungs are comedy gold!

bung

Bung

BUNG!

I like how most bungs have a hole in them. If you wet the hole, it's easier to...nevermind.

I've been laughing at sh*t like this for most of my 37 years.

99.99% of the time the bung should be thoroughly lubricated, unless we're talking about a carboy!:ban:

Parental advice:
when your little kids use the new words appropriately you cannot yell at them.

As my little boy will tell you "you cannot Bull S#it a Bull S#1tter"

Back