2 Keggle or 2 Keggle + Cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imburr

Reaction score
I currently have 2 keggles. One is a boil kettle with a thermometer and spigot at the bottom, and the pipe inside is not downturn for some reason. The second keggle has a sight glass, thermometer, and a downturn pipe and false bottom.

My intention was to mash in the keggle, but I am reading and having second thoughts. My process was going to be:

Heat water in mash keggle, add grain. Heat sparge water in boil keggle and put in temporary cooler to batch sparge. Runoff back into boil keggle, which I would flame up once full.

Would it make more sense to get a cooler for mashing? Problem is that I have this keggle with false bottom which would not fit into a cooler, so I would have to spend more to change. I suppose I could use my 5-gallon stainless pot for sparge water? Or I could buy and convert a 10-gallon cooler and pour my sparge water into it to keep it hot, then runoff into boil keggle?

Just trying to figure out the best way... I would hate to waste this false bottom in my keggle. Any input?

Mashing in the keg seems like a fine plan, and your plan with the cooler as a temporary hlt should work too. You can fire up the kettle with the first running from the mash while you do the second batch sparge.

Good luck!

How are you planning on maintaining temps while mashing in a keggle? Unless youre going to build a HERMS or RIMS setup between the keggles, I would use one keggle for hot liquor tank, one for boiling, and mash in a cooler.

Back