2 Hearted Zombie IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfairious

Reaction score
So I have some stuff lying around and I am trying to free up some space. So I decided instead of finding a clone to brew like I usually do, I would try my hand at a first ever recipe. I wanted to not have to go buy anything and pretty much use what I had on hand but I am open to changes to make things taste better.
I love me some Zombie Dust and 2 Hearted and brew them often. So I started with a ZD recipe and started changing things around for what I had and wanted to use up. After Looking at what I had done I saw it was more like 2 Hearted's grain bill.
I wanted something a little lighter/sweeter than ZD so went with the Vienna and Honey Malt. The calculators I was using had the mash coming in at over 5.7ph, so added the Acidulated Malt (that I have on hand) to lower it.
So this is coming out like a 2 Hearted Zombie or something.

10 Gallon batch - I shoot for 11.75 in fermenter.
Fermentables

26 lb Canadian - Pale 2-Row 86%
2 lb German - Vienna 6.6%
1 lb American - Carapils 3.3%
0.5 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 1.7%
0.5 lb Canadian - Honey Malt 1.7%
0.25 lb German - Acidulated Malt 0.8%
30.25 lb Total

Hops

2 oz Columbus Leaf/Whole First Wort
1 oz Centennial Pellet Boil 15 min
1 oz Citra Pellet Boil 15 min
1 oz Centennial Pellet Boil 10 min
1 oz Citra Pellet Boil 10 min
1 oz Centennial Pellet Boil 5 min
1 oz Citra Pellet Boil 5 min
1 oz Centennial Pellet Whirlpool
1 oz Citra Pellet Whirlpool
4 oz Centennial Leaf/Whole Dry Hop 5 days
2 oz Citra Pellet Dry Hop 5 days

Mash at 154 and I will use my Conan yeast cultured from HT.

Yes mashing at higher temps can produce a sweeter beer but exBEERiment results don't seem to show that plays out as well.

I had extra Vienna from an ordering mistake. The rest are left overs from clones. I went with 26lbs of 2 row because my father likes the higher ABV and we have yet to brew one where you can really taste the ABV so headed over 7.2% with this one to see how far we want to go.
Might have some wheat lying around too, so might add that in. Or maybe replace the carapils with it.
I added the Columbus for bittering because I grow my own and wanted to use some of it up.

Anyone ever made something up close to this? Just wanted reassurance more than anything that this won't turn out like crap. Thanks for any and all responses.

Thoughts about dropping the 2-row down a couple lbs and adding straight sugar to bring the abv up? Maybe increase the Honey Malt to 1lb also to bring back some of the sweetness the straight sugar will dry out? Perhaps a Light Brown sugar to add some subtle caramel sweetness?

Other options are to drop the carapils and add 10-15% flaked oats to give it more the NEIPA vibe?

I would definitely toss 10% flaked oats in there, but I also love oats. To be honest though the recipe looks pretty delicious either way!

Back