2 gallon fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would "work", but not sure its the best, or even a good, option.

If you use the original lid and just trust gas to seep out as needed, I would be worried other things could seep in.

That link is for a 1 gallon (128 oz) jar, though...

Mind, that lid is not stainless, it's some chrome/nickel plated steel, similar to what's on mason jars, I reckon.

For 1.5-2 gallon batches I've successfully used large plastic (PET) containers that once held pretzel or corn puffs. They come with a plastic screw lid.

That link is for a 1 gallon (128 oz) jar, though...

Mind, that lid is not stainless, it's some chrome/nickel plated steel, similar to what's on mason jars, I reckon.

For 1.5-2 gallon batches I've successfully used large plastic (PET) containers that once held pretzel or corn puffs. They come with a plastic screw lid.
Yeah. Realized that when I got it home. Pulled the trigger on a 1.5g jar on Amazon.

You can order 1-gallon mason jars on the internet ... and split across multiple fermenters if you want a larger batch.

For example:

Large Glass Jars with Lid - 2 Pack

You could pretty easily drill the lid and add a grommet and airlock.
Well, what I'm wanting to do is make sure I have enough head space to reduce the probability that a vigorous fermentation will cause an overflow.

Mine don’t have faucets. I don’t use them often, but I have. I cut down a plastic racking cane because I dont need the same size for this as a 6 gallon bucket or a 5 gallon carboy, etc. Stuck the cap back on the end where I cut it. Thought about making a smaller bottling bucket but haven’t yet. Like I said, haven’t used them a whole lot. Other than that, I don’t do anything different. Curious if others do.

If you are just wanting more headspace for 1 gallon batches, then these 5 liter swing tops worked well for me for quite a few batches. I've now moved on to a small 3 gallon conical though.

https://www.everythingkitchens.com/...ogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=149270M02321877#
The side walls are thin, but I've successfully drilled the tops for blow off tubes or stoppers and airlocks as well as put spigots in the bottom of them after making stands for them to sit on with these hole saws....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0778NND9D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I did this with a drill press that I can slow down to less than 60 rpm and kept water flowing on the hole saw constantly as it cut. Bottom is quite thick, it took about 30 minutes or so it seemed.

Though I wouldn't recommend these to anyone that doesn't take their safety to ridiculous levels when modifying them or even just using them in general as when glass breaks it'll be when you least expect it and it's so sharp you won't feel it until you realize there is blood all over the place.

Morebeer ships free if you buy over $59. A fermenter and some grains/hops/yeast for a few batches should get ya close.

If you are just wanting more headspace for 1 gallon batches, then these 5 liter swing tops worked well for me for quite a few batches. I've now moved on to a small 3 gallon conical though.

https://www.everythingkitchens.com/...ogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=149270M02321877#
The side walls are thin, but I've successfully drilled the tops for blow off tubes or stoppers and airlocks as well as put spigots in the bottom of them after making stands for them to sit on with these hole saws....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0778NND9D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I did this with a drill press that I can slow down to less than 60 rpm and kept water flowing on the hole saw constantly as it cut. Bottom is quite thick, it took about 30 minutes or so it seemed.

Though I wouldn't recommend these to anyone that doesn't take their safety to ridiculous levels when modifying them or even just using them in general as when glass breaks it'll be when you least expect it and it's so sharp you won't feel it until you realize there is blood all over the place.
Nice. Are those glass lids as well or is there a metal part? I don't think I'd wanna try modding those. I'll stick to the screw-top lids. 😅😅😅

Morebeer ships free if you buy over $59. A fermenter and some grains/hops/yeast for a few batches should get ya close.
Yeah. I thought I'd seen a $ figure for free shipping. That being said, I'm trying to do this as inexpensively as possible. I also have only done a couple batches of beer, preferring the ease of cider/cyser. I'm really wanting to try a bochet soon.

Also found this (approximately 1 3 gallon) 5L water jug - US $4.34 35%OFF | Portable Plastic Water Storage Container Bottle Carrier Jerry Can Bucket Food Grade PC Outdoor Sports Water Supplies Equipment
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPnt0Ky
(Found a less expensive one)
I have the 3 gallon size of these. Went to grocery store bought it filled with water. Then I just take it to refill and brew again. When it no longer cleans easily or question about scratches, I just exchange for a new one.

Last edited:
I have one of these. Went to grocery store bought it filled with water. Then I just take it to refill and brew again. When it no longer cleans easily or question about scratches, I just exchange for a new one.
I Saw a "small" water container at Walmart the other day. Not sure what size it is, and it wasn't marked. I'm guessing it's 1 gallon, but who knows. Might ask someone some time

I usually finish out at about 6 gallons. I run off the cleanest wort into the carboy. The sludge, glop, trub and other murk follows into a one gallon glass jug for fermenting separately.

I bought some apple juice at the store and the 1 gallon jugs were perfect for this purpose.

Sometimes the stub batch is good, sometimes not so good, can be fun for experiments and weird beer drinking!

Attachments

• 66B82B69-14D5-4C75-9D88-350BAF6C2009.jpeg
    66B82B69-14D5-4C75-9D88-350BAF6C2009.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 8
  • AA66DB55-BE19-42B7-A0AB-D133926F5939.jpeg
    AA66DB55-BE19-42B7-A0AB-D133926F5939.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I just use the white food grade 2-gallon buckets from the paint department at Lowe’s or Home Depot. I’ve made several small batch wines in them.

No light, no breakage risk, easy to clean, pressure capable … it’s hard to beat fermenting in kegs, and you’ve got 1.75, 2.5, and 3 gallon sizes to choose from.

On a budget, I second the suggestion for a 3-gallon Fermonster with spigot. Buy the lid wrench, you’ll be glad you did.

I just use the white food grade 2-gallon buckets from the paint department at Lowe’s or Home Depot. I’ve made several small batch wines in them.

Unless you're plastic-adverse this is by far the easiest approach. They are HDPE even at smaller sizes.

If you don't care about completely sealing the vessel you can rest the lid on top. The lids are easy to drill so you can either insert a grommet and airlock or drill a larger hole for a drilled stopper with an airlock in it.

Back