2.5 gallon fermentation/priming tabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VA Brew

Reaction score
I'm sure you veterens are annoyed with questions like this but hopefully you will still help me out. My first brew is a 2.5 gallon nut brown ale extract kit being brewed in a 5-gal plastic bucket. I finished brewing at 11 pm. The next morning at 7 am the fermentation air lock was bubbling about once every 2 seconds. Then we i came home from work at 6 pm there was no bubbling. I do not think there is a leak in the bucket. Does fermentation always produce bubbling in the air lock? Does fermentation of a 2.5 gallon batch take 1/2 the time of a 5 gallon batch?

Also, i have priming tabs but don't see alot of information on them. Do they get added into the actual bottle as is?

That sounds like a very quick ferment, but it could be possible. The only way to know for sure would be to take a hydrometer reading, but I'd let it sit for at least a week-it won't hurt it.

The priming tabs go in the bottle as is. I wait a week after bottling and tip the bottle upside down and right side up once to help mix up the tab sediment.

Back