2.5 Gallon Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

librewer

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing a 2.5 gallon all grain barley wine. Based on 60% efficiency I'm looking at about 11.75 lbs. of total grain to get to 10% abv according to Beersmith. That will require aprox. 3.75 gallons for mashing. I've done three partial mash batch sparge beers at 5 gallons with good results. My question is... it seems I won't have much room for a batch sparge if I am shooting for a boil volume in the 3.25 range so will that affect my OG or will the first runnings plus a small sparge get me where I need to be?

And on a side note... anyone have experience with Challenger hops? Thanks!

It might effect your OG but just a little. You're not taking much in the way of sparge water so you're not going to have much sugar to concentrate through evaporation. The greatest majority of sugar comes from your first runnings anyway. Don't worry. Make sure you aerate well. Big beers need lots of O2 for the yeast.

Ok I'm thinking I'll just go for it. 2 packets of S-04 was my plan for the yeast and I have aeration. Thanks!

You could also do a longer boil. A 2 hour boil will give you an extra gallon-ish to sparge with.

Back