1st "wild" beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcook

Reaction score
Last fall, I placed a warm starter underneath an apple tree in my backyard. A few days later, there was signs of fermentation. I built up the starter (2) more times before putting it in the fridge.

On Friday, I made (7) gallons of a blonde ale. The picture of the carboy on the left has 2 gallons of the blonde 24 hours after pitching my backyard yeast. Time will tell how this beer develops. Just a little experiment.

The carboy on the right has 5 gallons of the blonde ale being fermented with Abbaye Ale yeast. Once it ferments, I plan to siphon a sour beer on top of the blonde that I began fermenting in September of 2016. About a year ago, I added 16 ounces of tart cherry Montmorency concentrate to the gallon of sour beer. I figure I will let this carboy sit for a while.

Tim
20190421_124457.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you test the gravity of the wild yeast starters? Did it fully attenuate? Or attenuate much at all?

That's a good question. No I did not. After seeing signs of fermentation after the first starter, I tasted a little & it wasn't foul tasting. After stepping up the starter & letting it ferment for a while, I stuck it in the fridge for a few months. I hesitated prior to pitching it this week. I actually had second thoughts and almost changed my mind. After I worked up the nerve to taste it again, it "wasn't too bad." I know that's not a ringing endorsement, but I figure it's only 2 gallons. If the resulting beer is ok, I probably add a bunch of fruit & let it go for a while.

any update?
Nothing new to report. As it stands, the (2 gallons of) beer with the "wild" yeast is in a 3 gallon carboy. I am planning a brew day in 2 weeks. I'm going to take a gravity sample from that beer, then top off the carboy with a little extra of an APA from brew day to eliminate the head space.

Tim

Nothing new to report. As it stands, the (2 gallons of) beer with the "wild" yeast is in a 3 gallon carboy. I am planning a brew day in 2 weeks. I'm going to take a gravity sample from that beer, then top off the carboy with a little extra of an APA from brew day to eliminate the head space.

Tim
I took a gravity sample. The 2 gallons is 1.0000 I topped off the carboy with 1 gallon of a pale ale, plus some dregs from a fairly local sour beer. I guess now it can be considered a "Franken" beer?

The gravity sample was ok tasting at best. More of a long-term project, less likely to end up tasty. Drinkable, just one dimentional and plain.

Back