1ST Timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaspera

Reaction score
I am brand new to home brewing and am clueless where to start. Can anyone recommend a good beginner brewing kit and where to purchase it. I've always wanted to brew my own beer but never had time. Now I do, so any suggestions as to where, how, and good starter kits and recipes would be very very appreciative...CHEERS!!!

Last edited:
Your profile says you’re 19 years old, so I assume you’re looking to brew some root beer?

Kidding - totally wish I got into brewing in the dorms. I’d recommend reading John Palmers book “How to Brew” and going to your local home brew shop for a beginner kit. Most start with brewing extract kits to see if they like it enough to keep going and spending more $ on better equipment. They can probably sell you the book at the homebrew store, too. Palmer just released an updated edition and it’s the home-brewing bible, essentially.

I am brand new to home brewing and am clueless where to start. Can anyone recommend a good beginner brewing kit and where to purchase it. I've always wanted to brew my own beer but never had time. Now I do, so any suggestions as to where, how, and good starter kits and recipes would be very very appreciative...CHEERS!!!

Don't know how much money you're willing to devote to this, but if I were starting over and looking for a good but effective basic kit, here's what I'd get:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/premium-homebrew-starter-kit.html

It has the best combination of items I've ever seen; nothing is close. Has a chiller, kettle, hydrometer, star-san, spoon, fermenter w/ spigot....all you need is a heat source and bottles. I just looked it up and they even have a 15-percent off special on it. It includes an extract kit so for under $200 you have everything you need plus a kit to get started. Free shipping, too.

It's a stunningly good deal, IMO.

^ What those guys said. I'm a newby as well. If the kit above is out of your price range other sites offer cheaper alternatives, although the equipment list will be shorter. Find an extract kit that is of a style that you like and jump in. Good luck and keep us posted.

From an extract perspective, I'll just mirror what everyone else said and find a clone kit that you're familiar with and start there. You won't need much equipment that you probably don't already have. Check this blog out which seems to be dedicated to extract brewing.

I started off with the Northern Brewer Go Pro Starter Kit which I reviewed here:

https://www.northernbrewer.com/go-pro-small-batch-beer-brewing-kit-w-chinook

I quickly realized I was going to need more equipment. That was followed by a 24 quart kettle. Multiple fermenters and several other upgrades.

It's hard to decide up front what you are really going to want. 5 to 6 gallons of beer isn't as much as you think. Have a couple of friends over and 2 cases can be gone in an evening.

Go to northern brewer or Midwest brewing and sign up for there emails. I get discount codes up to 20% every week. You could use that towards your kit purchase

Watch a ton of youtube videos and read, read, read, ie: the first few chapters of Palmer's "How to Brew," also this forum and others like it. IMO before you invest in the equipment you have to convince yourself that you can do this. It shouldn't be a whim.

Back