1st Timer w/ Leaf Hops, Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgo737

Reaction score
So I have many batches under my belt, but have never used leaf hops. In the winter, I have switched to no chill brewing, lazy man style, where I just leave the kettle in my garage covered overnight and in the morning wake up to 60F wort with all of the pellets settled into sludge.

-If I use leaf hops loose in the kettle, will they settle overnight allowing me to decant off, like pellet sludge?
-If they do not settle over night and I simply pour into fermenter, will the leaf hops settle into the trub over a week or 2?

And yes, I know a strainer or filter over a racking cane is an option but I really like to KISS it...

Cheers!

SOme will sink, but most of the hops will stay on top.( soaking up a lot of beer too!) I would recomend a bag, but the beer will still be good if you don't have one. NO bag if your primary is a carboy. it will be too hard to get them out.

Back