1st timer equipment question: filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattfdc

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,

I'm about to embark on my first homebrew, and I have a question about some of the equipment I was given. My dad was a novice homebrewer, and he passed on to me the following items:

1 large pail
2 carboys
48 flip top bottles (grolsch I do believe)
specific gravity measuring thingy
thermometer
various hoses/siphons

and a filter that he only referred to as "expensive". It's a pump type (kinda looks like a weed sprayer) that has a seperate, clear, round chamber that you place disposable filters into.

My question: What's the filter for? I've been searching the net and a few books that I got with the equipment, and there's no reference to it. Where is it used? Why is it used? I'm assuming it's to filter out the sediment, but don't you lose all the flavour if you do that?

I'd like to brew up some beer that is low in sediment, but still has a decent taste. Can this be done with the filter? Or should I just go with a clearing agent?

Thx!!

mattfdc said:
My question: What's the filter for? I've been searching the net and a few books that I got with the equipment, and there's no reference to it. Where is it used? Why is it used? I'm assuming it's to filter out the sediment, but don't you lose all the flavour if you do that?
Using a 1-micron filter won't reduce the flavor one bit. Try taking a look at these threads:
http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1522
http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1548
http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1741
http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10602

mattfdc said:
I'd like to brew up some beer that is low in sediment, but still has a decent taste. Can this be done with the filter? Or should I just go with a clearing agent?
Yes. Use both and also crashing your beer will help clarify it.

Good luck,
Wild

wild said:
Yes. Use both and also crashing your beer will help clarify it.

What is "crashing"?

So after reading through the posted threads (thanks for that!) I'm ssuming a 1 micron filter right before bottling my beer, along with a clearing agent should be what I'm looking for? Or is the filtering done at a different stage?

Well, you don't NEED to use the filter at all. I would harbor a guess that 95% of us don't filter our beers. Some styles, you would like to have some more clarity, but there's nothing wrong with beer that's a little cloudy. Most of the sediment drops out during fermentation and conditioning. It all tastes good. It's up to you, you have it, I'm sure your dad would appreciate your using the filter since it sounds like he spend some $$ on it, but it's not something that is likely to have much appreciable impact on the final product other than slightly better visuals.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about losing a little flavour in order to get a little more clarity (fussy women will be consuming some of this....).

What I AM worried about is screwing this up, losing all my yeast during filtration, and ending up with flat beer. I'm actually a little hesitant with this being my first brew 'n all...

First beer, I wouldn't use it. There's enough other stuff to think about, not that the process is all that hard or complicated, but I'd do it in as straightforward a manner as possible.

Second brew - which will be right behind the first, trust me on this - I'd play around with it and see if you can get it to work. If you liked the results from the first brew, you could even re-do it with the filter and see if it does have an impact on flavor. The beer will be good, regardless.

I'm just a fan of starting out simply, and adding complexities as you go. I'm still a noob, but with each batch I add a new process, a new element to the process, something else to get under my belt.

mattfdc said:
What I AM worried about is screwing this up, losing all my yeast during filtration, and ending up with flat beer. I'm actually a little hesitant with this being my first brew 'n all...

I would estimate that 99.9% of homebrewers never filter. I own filtering equipement (for wine) but would never consider using it for bottle conditioned beer.

If you were to filter out enough yeast to make the beer 100% 'clear', it wouldn't carbonate.

If you were to allow enough yeast through to ensure carbonation, you'll still end up with considerable deposit on the bottom of the bottle giving you cloudy beer.

So why bother?:mug:

Add my vote to the "don't mess with it for now" tally.

I agree that the vast majority of homebrewers who bottle condition their beer probably do not filter at all. Those who keg and force carbonate may or may not.

Honestly, the vast majority of my beers are quite clear--a person would have to be incredibly picky to not drink them because they're "cloudy."

I say f___-em--more for you.

In 22 years of brewing, I have filtered...once.

Don't bother.

You have enough to learn just brewing, you really don't need the potential problems.

Just my 2 cents.

knewshound

Just use something like irish moss at the end of the boil and transfer the beer to a secondary fermenter for two weeks after the primary is finished. After that bottle and let them carb up and get good and ready, then just pour correctly without a lot of sloshing and it will be clear.

mattfdc said:
What is "crashing"?

So after reading through the posted threads (thanks for that!) I'm ssuming a 1 micron filter right before bottling my beer, along with a clearing agent should be what I'm looking for? Or is the filtering done at a different stage?
As was said before, Irish Moss used in the last 15-20 minutes of the boil will help a lot. Crashing is rapidly dropping the beer temp to just above freezing for 2-3 days prior to bottling/kegging. Crash cooling can present problems if you want to bottle condition the beer since the cold temperature can cause the yeast to go dormant. Also, you do need to make sure any remaining diacetyl has been reduced before chilling.
Since filtering normally requires kegs to push and receive the beer, the process of filtering is mute if you only plan on bottling and don't posses any kegs as of yet. However, filtering with a 1-micron filter will not remove the flavor but will eliminate the remaining trub and precipitated yeast. There are some brewerys that do filter and bottle condition their beers such as SN.
I do agree with the previous entries that you should learn the basic process first before adding new procedures and gadgets.

Good luck,
Wild

Okay, I'm going to go with the Irish moss to start. Maybe add the filter later.

I am going to get a few kegs (the kind that soda comes in) and a CO2 regulator from the old man, but he was a little hesitant to give it to me without showing me the sterilization/hook up procedures in detail. I guess I have to earn my stripes as a brewer before getting into kegging.

As far as crashing goes; after reducing the temperature for a few days and bottling, do you want to bring it back up to room temperature to encourage carbonization?

Filtering with a keg setup, for purely aesthetic reasons when kegging is relatively simple and then you can follow up by force carbing the beer.

And for the record, some folks in this forum get a little anal (and sometimes more than a little rude) about the use of the term 'sterilize'. What you probably meant was 'sanitize' as sterilization is far more complex than is worthwhile for brewing.

Yes-- if you are going to naturally carb in the bottles you'll want it in the 65-75 degree range to encourage carbing.

Or wait till pop gives you the keg setup and just keg it. Bottling is really a PITA in comparison to kegging.

Latest posts

Back