1st time using dry malt extract.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGREDIOWAN

Reaction score
I've done two batches in the past, but have used LME both times. Is there anything specifically that I should do differently with the DME compared to the LME? I've already read Palmer's book, but I'll be using it as a guide again, but I can't remember there being anything special in reference to DME? I'm doing a Vanilla Cream Ale and a Summer Lemon Saison in the next week or so.

I do late additions myself,but use cooper's cans as a base as a late addition as well. I use 3lb bags of Munton's plain DME's too. I use 1.5lbs in the BK for hop additions. Add the remaining malts at the end for cleaner flavor & lighter color.

The only difference is in the amount used. If the recipe calls for DME, then you are OK. If it calls for LME, then you need to use about 20% less (by weight) of DME, since DME is further refined and has no water left in it, while LME still has a bit of water left in it.

Otherwise, just dump, stir and boil.

Late extract additions might be something worth looking into, but that is really another topic altogether.

Okay appreciate the responses. Got my dme with two kits from Austin Home Brew Supply. Quality kits from what I can see short of ice packs were warm with yeast which sucked. Put those in the fridge right away....any concerns there?

When pouring out of the bag, the steam from the kettle can make the DME clump up around the opening in the bag, which is kind of a pain.

It's also very light, so if you're rough with the bag when opening it, or if you pour it kinda hard into the scale, you'll get a cloud of DME that'll end up as a sticky mess on the counter.

Last, tightly seal the leftovers. If any humidity gets to it, it'll turn into a brick like old brown sugar.

Oh, and don't worry about clumps in the kettle. They'll dissolve soon enough. Cheers!

Cool thanks....those are the tips that are good to know on brew day. I just hope the liquid yeast I got is okay from shipping.

I just hope the liquid yeast I got is okay from shipping.

If you have some extra malt (dry or liquid, or left over from last time) - make a starter. Worst case, the yeast are dead, but at least you'll have only wasted a starter and not a full 5 gallons. Best case, you'll have more, healthy yeast to pitch.

The only difference is in the amount used. If the recipe calls for DME, then you are OK. If it calls for LME, then you need to use about 20% less (by weight) of DME, since DME is further refined and has no water left in it, while LME still has a bit of water left in it.

Otherwise, just dump, stir and boil.

Late extract additions might be something worth looking into, but that is really another topic altogether.

not completely different at all,& very simple. It's only as complicated as one makes it. You don't have to be a scientist or Einstein to take advantage of it. Since I use 3lb bags of dme,& 3.75lbs LME,I add half the DME for hop additions. Then add the remaining malts at the end & steep for 15 minutes. The mix is still near boiling hot,so it'll sanitize just fine. Mine always does. Just don't waste any time or movement at that point.
I am German,after all....

Make sure you have a big whisk handy to break up the clumps. I used to use a big spoon to stir in the DME and switching to a whisk greatly decreased the time and frustration caused by it.

I got the 24" stirring paddle with some stuff from Midwest. It def works a tad better at that than the spoon style. Went noticeably faster.

If you have some extra malt (dry or liquid, or left over from last time) - make a starter. Worst case, the yeast are dead, but at least you'll have only wasted a starter and not a full 5 gallons. Best case, you'll have more, healthy yeast to pitch.

Yeah, I planned on doing that anyways. If the yeast is dead you can bet Austin Homebrew Supply will be getting a call from me to send me some new yeast at no cost. Pisses me off that the ice pack was warm as hell.

BIGREDIOWAN said:
Yeah, I planned on doing that anyways. If the yeast is dead you can bet Austin Homebrew Supply will be getting a call from me to send me some new yeast at no cost. Pisses me off that the ice pack was warm as hell.

Austin Homebrew can't control the weather. Ice melts.

Back