1st Time Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redd1982

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this question may be asked a tin in the forums. I kegged my 1st brew on Thursday. I put it up to 20 psi...when will it be carbed?

I leave mine at 20 psi for two days at 34 degrees the bleed off the gas then fill it to severing pressure 7 to 10 psi for a day

then start drinking it, then after a couple of more days it is perfect

all the best

S_M

brew_ny said:
I leave mine at 20 psi for two days at 34 degrees the bleed off the gas then fill it to severing pressure 7 to 10 psi for a day

then start drinking it, then after a couple of more days it is perfect

all the best

S_M

Thanks. Is bleeding off the gas the same as burping the keg? Sorry,I am not new to brewing. Just kegging.

brew_ny said:
yes it is :) you are just trying to get the pressure back down to get the beer to the volume of co2 that you want so it is not over carbonated

S_M

Thanks very much

Since carbed and properly aged are two different things, I generally leave my system at serving pressure. 7 psi or so is all I ever use; new kegs carb up in about a week or so...

I'm fairly new to kegging as well... Don't mean to thread jack but once dispensing ifs done for the night or the "session" do you leave it at the low pressure or do you take it back up to the level you force carbd at? Any tricks to this?

Mine's at 7, all day, every day. No need to mess with it as long as you're patient with the carbonating process...

Intresting thread.
Im new to all this too. Just started my first full 23L kit ( Coopers Stout ) I know its nothing complicated but also my first stout so wanted to try a kit before messing up a 23L mash.
Anyway when all is done it states bottling and priming but thats a lot of bottles so going to get me a pressure barrel with co injecter. Is this how I can carbonate with out sugar, 20psi for 2 days, if so how can you tell its 20psi as there doesn't seem to be a gauge on the keg/barrel..
Thanks all.

Ok. Will see if I can rig something up. So is 20psi a standard carbonating pressure?

I was told that 20 psi is good for carbing the beer in the keg, then you lower the psi (looks like 7-10 psi) for dispensing the beer.

So is 20psi a standard carbonating pressure?

no it is not it just a way to carb it up fast by two days at 20 psi and then a day at 7 psi then drink

and that is at 34 degrees F, cold beer carbonates at a lower psi then warm beer

here is a chart

this gives you some number

all the best and good luck

S_M

Carbonatin-Chart.jpg

no it is not it just a way to carb it up fast by two days at 20 psi and then a day at 7 psi then drink

and that is at 34 degrees F, cold beer carbonates at a lower psi then warm beer

here is a chart

this gives you some number

all the best and good luck

S_M

Thanks for sharing that chart!

Charts are great, and should get you in the ballpark. Every system is different though and will require tweaking. When in doubt guess low; it's easier to crank it up a couple of psi than to deal with over carbed beer...

Yes, thanks for the charts. By the way...all the info in this post is spot on. Thanks brew_ny. Huge help.

Latest posts

Back