1st sub 5% beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zamial

Reaction score
This is my very 1st sub 5% beer. I have been a member of the drink less = pee less crowd for a good while but trying to suck back a 8% + IIPA in the sun can get rough. I wanted something unusual yet familiar. My LHBS had some interesting ingredients so I pulled the trigger and made ??? :rockin:

Here is the recipe:

Pilsner ALE – pilsner style ale

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: American ale
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.050
IBU: 17.3
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 3.4 SRM

Malts:
9 pounds Weyerman German Pilsner Malt (Fully Modified)
1 lbs local honey @ flame out
1 lbs Scottish oat meal
1/4 lbs rice hulls

Hops:
.125 oz Warrior @ 90, 30, 10 Min
.25 oz Saaz US @ 30, 10
.50 oz Saaz US @ 5
Irish moss @ 10 Min
Honey @ flameout

Yeast: American ale 1056

mash at 150F for 60 min. then 153F for 60 min. Mash out @ 168F 30 min.

Ideally, I would have mashed lower but that did not happen. I am preparing myself for this to be a bit more to the malty side than originally planned. I was using a new mashing, sparge water calculator and new MLT. I messed up on a calculation so I end up a little higher than I hoped. I had however corrected the errors in time for my mash out and hit that temp on the head so all in all I think I have the new stuff figured out.

My LHBS had 3 different types of pilsner malt. At the suggestion of the LHBS, I tried out the fully modified pilsner malt so I did not require a protein rest. (Not that I was opposed to doing a protein rest but I like to try new things!) The Lovibond was a little higher than the standard undermodded pilsner malt but only by 1 point...lol. Honestly, I would like to have this be crystal clear and light yellow but if it ends up a little darker and cloudy, it does not matter that much to me as long as this mess is drinkable!

I know I could have used US05 but the LHBS was out. I was however fortunate that they did have the 1056, which I am pretty sure is the same strain (Chico) just from a different company.

I suspect I will end up with a 5% or just under that ale. I used the oatmeal to make it feel creamy and have some good head retention. I used the honey to make the body super light and because it is my favorite adjunct...lol.

I will report back in a few weeks when it is all done and carbed up. :mug:

Sounds delicious! Made something very similar recently. Right around 5-6% ABV. Had a nice cold pint or two after mowing lawn tonight. Good luck on your batch. Should be tasty!

Just kegged this one and got a sample. Piss warm and flat I was shocked at how great it tasted. I was under the impression a great yellow beer could not be done as an ale...I was lied to...

I will report back in a week or so with finished results.

Kegged, bottled and mostly drank, this was a nice beer to enjoy while hot outside. I would however suggesting upping the warrior to .25 oz. All the BMC drinkers I know really liked it and were impressed that I could make a yellow fizzy beer.

Latest posts

Back