1st post, 1st brew, 1st krausen on ceiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrust

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've been lurking here for awhile and finally decided to take the plunge and brew my own beer. I'm quite fortunate in that my two work colleagues have husbands who brew--one experienced, the other a newb.

Anyway, I picked up a Brewer's Best Deluxe Kit from my LHBS along with a Brewcraft Russian Imperial Stout kit.

With these and a few extras, I began my brewing adventure(s) on Saturday night. Around 8:00 pm I pitched the yeast into a wort that read about 78F and had an OG of 1.080.

When I awoke on Sunday morning, I immediately checked on the status of my beer; 68F and fairly steady "bubbling" of the airlock. Last night, before going to bed, my fermentation had become quite aggressive; krausen had made it's way past the airlock and some had drained onto the lid of the fermenter.

This morning, I awoke to find krausen had made it's way past the airlock, sprayed on my spare TV (old, no big deal) and onto the adjacent wall. With this in mind, I searched the forum for a possible solution and ran across many threads about a blow-off tube. No big deal, my kit came with a tube, right?

At roughly 6:15 am (after drinking an entire growler of 9% IPA for the Superbowl the night before), I'm up trying to configure my blow-off tube. I retrieved the Star-San that my LHBS recommended, sanitized the tube and an old growler (what I decided to use as the blow-off water reserve), and headed to see if more krausen had escaped.

Unfortunately, my blow off tube's diameter is too small to fit over the opening in the airlock, rendering my efforts useless. To temporarily reduced the possibility of finding krausen on the ceiling, I cleaned my airlock and refilled with sanitized solution.

My question (thank you for reading my ramblings), will tubing from Home Depot serve my needs? That is, after being sanitized, is such tubing suitable for making a blow off?

TIA:mug:

Absolutely. As long as the tube fits nice and tight inside the carboy neck it should be fine. Usually with the higher O.G. beers you will need a blow off rather than an airlock.

I use HD/Lowe's tubing all the time. So that should be fine. Congrats on brewing your first batch. R.I.S. is a pretty big beer. Don't get too excited as drink em all to soon. Make sure to save a few and let them age a little.

If your tubing is too big to fit over the airlock, I have had success with sticking mine INSIDE the little hole in the middle.

Success!! While the tube ID was too small to fit over the airlock, it fit into the bung on the bucket lid perfect! Blow-off achieved!

Thanks for the replies thus far. If anyone has any advice for some (to me) unforeseen obstacle, please feel free to reply :D

Latest posts

Back