1st mini-mash - pic heavy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flushdrew42

Reaction score
i posted this in DeathBrewer's partial mash sticky in the beginner's forum. but thought i'd share it here.

Last night I did my very first BIAB - of sorts...
An APA
my bag didn't fit over the lip of my mash kettle so i modified the method a bit, and mashed in another pot, transferred the mash into the bag, and then "tea bag" sparged.

here goes the step by step

1. dough in.
IMG_0061.JPG

2. RDWHAHB
IMG_0063.JPG

3. Bottle my Amber (first time in glass bottles!)
IMG_0064.JPG

4. "Sparge"
IMG_0066.JPG

5. open kettle view of sparge and sweet sweet wort
IMG_0067.JPG

6. remove bag
IMG_0068.JPG

7. Sparge/Rinse Grains
IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

8. Add 1/2 of DME
IMG_0071.JPG

9. First Hops addition - beginning of boil "C" hops
IMG_0072.JPG

(not a step... but cool pic of spent grains)
IMG_0073.JPG

10. BOIL
IMG_0074.JPG

MORE GRAIN PRON
IMG_0076.JPG

11. 30 Minute addition (5min also)
IMG_0078.JPG

12. prep yeast
IMG_0079.JPG

13. keep notes! (and the recipe close by)
IMG_0081.JPG

14. Cooled. Aerated. Ready to Pitch
IMG_0082.JPG

15. Lid. "it's all over but the waiting"
IMG_0083.JPG

whole process took less than 2 1/2 hours, from heating strike water, to having my 3rd homebrew after the lid was on the fermenter.

i had a blast. this kind of brewing will lead to, most likely, AG BIAB's in the near future.

lookin good! is that a smaller boil? looks like a small bucket

Hey Thanks!

it's a 1.5 gallon batch. i'm pretty cramped on space. small house/small kitchen. just me (single dad) to drink it, so 1.5gals of a wide variety vs 5 gallons of 1 thing...

so it is a smaller boil. i'm boiling 1.25 gallons and then "topping up" to 1.5gal. fermenting in a northern brewer 2gallon brew bucket.

congratulations!!! nice step by step pics. I totally relate to what you mean about having a blast. I just started mini mashes 2 batches ago (just kegged my second one). I must say 2.5 hours is quick. I averaged 4 to 5 hours, mind you thats including collecting water from RO system, sanitizing equipment, cleaning, and about 5 to 6 beers down. Either way, every minute of brewing is bliss.

Oh, im not counting my time setting up, I guess it would add about an hour. I get my water prepped the day before.

The APA in this thread was bottled 10 days ago, will report tasting notes when I try one in about 10 more days. Thanks guys

Back