1st lot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi again

Im currently brewing my first batch (lager). It has been fermenting now for 15 days and I think it may be done. However it has turned very clear, almost see through and still smells of yeast.

Is this what is supposed to happen?

Just worrying abit

Cheers

Since lagers ferment at cooler temps, it can take a while to get started & finish fermenting.What temp is it at?

have you taken any gravity readings? If not, take a couple over the course of a few days. If it's the same then it's probably finished fermenting.

temperature is at the temperature of my flat, I think its about 16/17 degrees. Think i'll leave it a few more days, theres significantly less bubbles than before and nowt has changed for a bit now. The instructions on the kit says 4-6 days but someone on here told me to leave it a few weeks other day.

I bought a hydrometer yesterday but haven't worked out how to use it properly yet so got no readings.

As long as I havent ruined it, thanks

if you are using a lager yeast then they typically need to ferment at much cooler temperatures (around 11-14 celsius). Keep in mind also that the fermentation process will raise the temperature of the beer up to about 10 degrees ferenheit above the ambient temperature of your flat. Fermenting higher than the ideal temperature range of the brew leads to much higher chances of 'off flavors'. While the advice given to you to let it ferment longer than 4 days was indeed sound, you may be disappointed with the final outcome of this brew if you did indeed use a proper lager yeast. On the other hand, if this was a brewing 'kit' that you bought, they may well have included an ale yeast in which case your temperature is likely fine (again, google its specs if you are able to identify the yeast you used). When all's said and done though, your beer has likely completed primary fermentation and all you can do is plug forward.

The hydrometer is very simple to use. There are many short tutorials on youtube that will show you how to do it. Ideally you want to have a reading taken before you pitch your yeast (giving you a reading called your "original gravity", or OG for short). Then when you suspect the beer is done fermenting, you take a second reading (called "final gravity, or FG for short). Many people recommend that you take several FG readings a few days apart to make sure they are the same (if the number is still lowering then you can see that the beer is still fermenting and not yet ready to bottle). If the two FG readings taken a few days apart are the same and within the ballpark suggested by the recipe then it's ready to bottle. You can also use the OG and FG reading to calculate the alcohol % of the beer (hence why it's useful, but not crucial, to have an OG reading as well). There are online calculators that will allow you to plug in the OG and FG readings and it will tell you the percentage.

For future brews, look up the specs on the yeast you use (google it) and ferment at that temperature for best results. Post fermentation of lagers typically need a "lagering" stage - a period of many weeks where the fermenter (or secondary) is cold crashed at temps in the 30s or 40s (ferenheit). I've only done one lager, which I did via this method, and tastings before it was really done had strong flavors of green apples. Once it was done, of course, the green apple flavor was no longer present.

I'm assuming you don't have a fermentation chamber or an easy means of proper lagering. What I recommend you do, for future batches, is to brew styles of beer (such as ales) and use yeasts to which your flat's temperatures are better suited. You can brew a lot of excellent beers at the flat temp you have, so there's no need to rush out and buy loads of specialty equipment.

I suspect this may be one of the "Lager" kits which are really light pale ales.

Do you know what the yeast is?

It is probably done fermenting by now if it was an ale yeast. It won't hurt to wait longer. There is a quite a few brewers who never bottle the beers in less than a month. I always ferment for 14 days and usually 21 or longer. Take a gravity reading, wait at least 24 hours and take another. If they are the same your fermentation is done and it is ready to bottle.

I've brewed tons of lagers at 65-68F, so I think your fine as long as you don't go over 71F. The main things to remember here are good aeration, and a big healthy pitch of yeast.

A cold conditioning phase would be ideal, but you could just let it sit at your room temp for a couple more weeks then bottle. A hydrometer reading would be good too, but you gotta think after a month at room temps, it kinda is what it is. After you have bottled it you could move it to the fridge to lager for a few weeks if you want.

I'm not sure what type of yeast it is, it was in a packet under the lid of the kit that I bought so I presumed that was enough and put it in. I've chucked the tub away aswell so can't check!

Thanks, learn alot from this forum, very useful!

I've used the Cooper's OS (Original Series) lager kit & can to brew different beers from them. I go the OS lager kit with my Micro Brew kit & it's a light pale ale that uses an ale yeast. a small, gold 7g packet. So it's really a light pale ale by definition.

Back