1st infecton....anything more likey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharmguy

Reaction score
My last batch is infected. Brew day and bottle day went great ( I thought). So, are infections likely to be one thing over another? Say tubing or the outosiphon or am I screwed....and need to replace everything?

Todd

All my bottles are supergushers and they have that ring around the bottle neck. Oh yeah, it tastes teally sour! Brewed in July 1st. Bottled Aug 7th. Looked fine when I bottled. Started drinking in late September. Tried again in October and throughout november.

We had to ask, you wouldn;t believe the number of new brewers who think they have an infection when it isn't. Sadly it sounds like you have one.

Have you brewed/bottled since then? Have the other beers been infecrted?

The reason I'm asking is we need to see if it was an isolated incidence or it is in the system.

You may have to replace all plastic including lines and your bottling spigot.

Im brewing tomorrow and heading to adventures in homebrew downriver today. Just wanted to know if I should buy all new stuff today. Looks like it. :(

I forgot to answer your question. No, I have not brewed since July. I know...just sad!

Buying new stuff will ensure you are starting right. Yes, it's worth it. A new bucket, spigot and tubing should do it.

And don't forget about the autosiphon. If it was that I'm not sure if you can/should try to rid the autosiphon of it or just buy another. I think Revvy had an autosiphon get buggy on him, maybe he'll recommend.

I had exactly the same problem with the gushers/sour beer/ "ring around the neck" this summer. I changed all my tubing, my bottling bucket and part of my autosiphon. I think back now and think I just should have changed my tubing sooner as it costs less than 5$. Instead, I waited and had to dump a 30$ batch of beer. From now on I'm going to change my tubing at least every 2 years. By the way, all my batches since have been great!

Yeah, I bought new tubing, spigot, and bottle wand yesterday. Brewing now, guess I will know in about 6 weeks.

Back