1st Habenero Beer. Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zrab11

Reaction score
Grains

Briess 2- Row Brewers Malt 8.5#
Wheat,Flaked 3#
Briess Caramel Malt 60L 0.5#

Hops

Magnum 1oz 60min
Cascade 0.5oz 45min
Cascade 0.5oz 30min
Citra 0.5oz 30min
Citra 0.5oz 20min
Citra 0.5oz 15min
Cascade 0.5 oz 1 min
Citra 0.5oz 14 Days dry hop
Cascade 0.5 oz 14 Days dry hop

Yeast

Safale S-04

Extras

Irish Moss 3.0 Tsp 5 min
Whole Habenero 2.0oz 14 days dry hop
Fresh Mango 4.0lbs 14 days dry hop

MASH

Mash grains at 152F for 60 min
Drain Mast tun
Add 156F water and mash for 15 min

So does this look like a good sound recipe?

Is there anything I should change?

My friend Mentioned using Chinook hops as they are kinda spicy/light piney aroma that he thinks would go well with the haberno or he also mentioned Summit which are pretty strong citrus flavor that might contrast nicely

Also I was planning on chopping up both the mango and Habenero

Is there anyone with experience with either or both that has a good way to incorporate them into beer.

Im really looking for this to kind be like a mango haberno ipa. I want it to have a nice kick of heat but have some good sweetness as well. Alittle along the lines of Founders Mango manifico.

Any help you can be to this recipe will be much appreciated!

I can say we have brewed with habanero twice. It was a lighter wheat beer as opposed to IPA, and we went with orange instead of mango. The first time we used 2 full habaneros, 1 we grilled and 1 raw. We sliced both in half and de-veined and seeded the raw one. It was a 5 gallon batch and had light heat that you felt in your throat. The perfect amount so that even those who don't like spice could handle it, but you knew the heat was there. This year we did the same but added a 3rd habenero, and the heat was less. Its a guessing game as to how hot the pepper you have is so 2 ounces is probably too much unless you want a lot of heat, I would try between 3-4 habanero peppers.

The most concentrated heat, caused from capsaicin, is produced and found in the placental partition of the pepper (vein). Next are the seeds because they are in contact with the placenta.

Your heat is going to vary based on the particular pepper and exposure of the vein.

Also keep in mind a more active yeast, such as a saison, will eat away at the pepper and run more liquid across the veins due to more activity, and cause capsaicin to free up from the pepper.

Lastly, the compounds are not water soluble so give it a good stir if bottling. If kegging, the last few may be brutal as the oil and compounds gather at the top like oil.

3 chopped habeneros has a solid kick on average. 4+ and you're looking to inflict pain, similar to joseph james habenero hop box. I'm not familiar with the brew you mentioned.

I brewed a mango habenero ipa and consulted with the cigar city head brewer before doing so... Added a puréed hab at flameout and a puréed hab in secondary per his recommendation for a 5 gallon batch... Seeds and all.. Had a nice kick but didn't leave your mouth on fire.. For the mango I used 64 oz of mango juice with no preservatives.. Hops were all citra

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

And going along with indytrucks it's tough to tell how much heat you'll get really because the heat will vary pepper to pepper

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back