1st brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikeirons

Reaction score
Just brewed my first extract kit tonight. It's a True Brew Bavarian Hefe!!
Followed directions to a T. Original gravity came in a little low. Should have been 1.045-1.049. Mine was 1.035. I'm hoping it was because of not being mixed well when I added top off water.
Anyway it was fun and hoping it tasted good

Sounds like you probably hit the nail on the head... Unless you forgot an ingredient an extract kit would not likely be that far off...

Have Fun and Welcome from another newcomer!

yep, i bet it was off a little bit on the reading for 1 of my favorite styles ( 1 i brewed today also). welcome to the obsession :D

Congrats on your first brew! A few possibilities for your low OG with a True Brew kit - either you have way too much water, you left a lot of extract in the can, or you misread your gravity. What temperature did you read at?

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. @dime1622 I put 5 gallons in the better bottle before I brewed and marked it so I know how high to fill. I scraped out all extract so I don't think it was those 2. I'm guessing it wasn't mixed fully.
Its been fermenting since last night at 8:30, check it this morning and it's bubbling away and has a nice this layer on top. hope that's A good sign. Lol.

Back