1st brew in the Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleysilo

Reaction score
Well, as you may remember reading, I stuck my arm into my first batch to retrieve the rubber stopper the airlock pushes into, I also syphoned using my mouth. I keged my first batch over the weekend and force carbonated. I brewed a kit IPA and added 2 oz. of blueberry extract in the secondary.

The result, "nothing special". You can smell the blueberry, but if you pinch your nose you can't tell it's there "no taste". I followed the local home brew shop directions for the kit which called for less hops than provided, beer could have used more hops. As far as carbonation, I think I need to re-force carbonate, It has a head full of large bubbles that quickly dissapate. Thousands of tiny
bubbles coming off the glass on the inside though. It just tastes like it needs more.

It's only been 2 weeks since brew date, so I realize it needs to sit in keg under pressure and cold for a week at least.

I'm happy, but I'd be happier if I knew the alcoholic content too.

harleysilo said:
Well, as you may remember reading, I stuck my arm into my first batch to retrieve the rubber stopper the airlock pushes into, I also syphoned using my mouth. I keged my first batch over the weekend and force carbonated. I brewed a kit IPA and added 2 oz. of blueberry extract in the secondary.

The result, "nothing special". You can smell the blueberry, but if you pinch your nose you can't tell it's there "no taste". I followed the local home brew shop directions for the kit which called for less hops than provided, beer could have used more hops. As far as carbonation, I think I need to re-force carbonate, It has a head full of large bubbles that quickly dissapate. Thousands of tiny
bubbles coming off the glass on the inside though. It just tastes like it needs more.

It's only been 2 weeks since brew date, so I realize it needs to sit in keg under pressure and cold for a week at least.

I'm happy, but I'd be happier if I knew the alcoholic content too.

I brewed a Blueberry Hellesbock on Thursday night. I took a 21 oz. can of Comstock blueberry pie filling, pureed it in a blender, and added it to the last 10 minutes of the boil. I'll let you know how it turned out once it's finished.

I've got a batch of Blueberry Mead in secondary...big can of puree with 20 lbs. of honey. Smells good...we'll see in about 8 years when it stops fermenting! ;)

So the first night I drank the newly carbonated beer was sat. I thought I had just had too much to drink, I drank a few mic lights feeling fine. Switched over to the homebrew and after a few my stomach felt bad (sick almost). Not I'm so drunk I'm goning to puke, but not a good feeling either.

So last night I figured I just drink homebrew and see what happened. Well after about six beer over 3 hours that same feeling occured in my stomach. Now I've been drinking since I was 21, 9 years, and this is not the effect of alcohol.

I didn't try poping an Rolaid or anything, I don't feel like I'm getting sick.

Anyone experience anything like this, could this beer be contaminated, even thought it smells and tastes fine?

:confused:

harleysilo said:
So the first night I drank the newly carbonated beer was sat. I thought I had just had too much to drink, I drank a few mic lights feeling fine. Switched over to the homebrew and after a few my stomach felt bad (sick almost). Not I'm so drunk I'm goning to puke, but not a good feeling either.

So last night I figured I just drink homebrew and see what happened. Well after about six beer over 3 hours that same feeling occured in my stomach. Now I've been drinking since I was 21, 9 years, and this is not the effect of alcohol.

I didn't try poping an Rolaid or anything, I don't feel like I'm getting sick.

Anyone experience anything like this, could this beer be contaminated, even thought it smells and tastes fine?

Is this the first time you've drank homebrew? It is definitely different than drinking normal beer...could be that you got too much yeast in the glass/bottle. It won't make you sick, but it'll cause bloating and gas. Just a thought....

Chances are it's fine and you had an off night.

Since it has low carbonation and sweet I would either wait to see if it gets better of just bite the bullet and mix it with your bitter and carbonated Mick Lite to see what you get. Experiment.

thanks for the replys and suggestions. It is the first time I've drank more that one beer of homebrew. It's possible I had an off night, I'll just try again tonight.
There was very little yeast that made it into the keg, but definately some.

I just need a friend to come over and try it out , fiance won't touch it after I told her my stomach felt bad.

:D

"It won't make you sick, but it'll cause bloating and gas. Just a thought...."

So I should stock up on some Beano the night my fiance decides to try it? A little crushed beano in each glass of beer :D :D

harleysilo said:

It was probably the Mic light that made you sick! JMHO......

Homebrew shouldn't make you feel sick or gassy or anything more than "normal" beer. The only difference between my beer and "normal" beer is mine tastes better.

Maybe the fruit didn't agree with you? Hops usually have a settling affect on the stomach. How does it taste? Any off-flavors?

Maybe you did just have an off night, but unless you're alergic, yeast shouldn't upset your stomach much if at all. As has been said, it's really quite good for you. Cheers! :D

Back