1st biab okto clone.... Not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sukkafree

Reaction score
Just did my first biab okto clone hit my og spot on at1.050..... Pitched wyeast 1007 package didnt fully swell. 2 days later started fermenting like normal. 6 hours later it just stopped!!! So left it alone for two more days not a single bubble out of the airlock! So i thought it may have stalled . So i pitched another smack pack same 1007 again package didnt really swell! Took a gravity reading three days ago and today its at 1.026. Any ideas?

Using a better bottle.... With a tight fiting stopper, i think a #10. My other biab clone batch of widmer brr is chuggin along but i used wyeast 1056, and that has never failed me. Was thinking bout pitching 1056 over my okto clone just to get it finished so i dont have to dump it, any thoughts?

If the packs didn't swell in an appropriate amount of time, I would think that is an indication of very low cell count. A pack of 05 dry yeast couldn't hurt.

What's the recipe, did you hit your mash temps? What was the OG? How did you oxygenate? What temp did you ferment at?

Perhaps there's no more fermentable sugars. No sense in pitching more yeast if there's nothing more to ferment.

I just picked up a packet of s-05 cheaper than another smack pack.... And my brr clone with a similar grain bill and wyeast 1056 is chuggin along. Will post recipie a little later baby duty is calling

Just did my first biab okto clone hit my og spot on at1.050..... Pitched wyeast 1007 package didnt fully swell. 2 days later started fermenting like normal. 6 hours later it just stopped!!! So left it alone for two more days not a single bubble out of the airlock! So i thought it may have stalled . So i pitched another smack pack same 1007 again package didnt really swell! Took a gravity reading three days ago and today its at 1.026. Any ideas?

What FG are you expecting?

1.050 -> 1.026 in how many days? It may still be fermenting. Just because there are no airlock bubbles doesn't mean there is no fermentation. (There are numerous threads on HBT that (re-)emphasize this.) A tighter lid or a better bottle won't change whether you are getting fermentation.

Try raising your temp. After a week mine slowed a bit. When I made ved into the diacytl rest @65it began to bubble more. I'll rest it for 4 days then lower again.

Wasnt too concerned with tight fitting cap on better bottle.... Thats no biggie. Shooting for 1.013 fg. Last night i ended up racking to another fermenter and added a package of dry yeast checked today after work and its down to 1.020, so im assuming dry yeast is working. I will give a few more days and test again. Any harm in kegging it if it doesnt get to expected fg? Low abv beer sample still tastes ok

Have you tried or do you make yeast starters?It is not a needed approach but at least you will be able to see first hand if your pack is viable.Not to mention double your count and get the yeast primed to work without being so stressed.

Wasnt too concerned with tight fitting cap on better bottle.... Thats no biggie. Shooting for 1.013 fg. Last night i ended up racking to another fermenter and added a package of dry yeast checked today after work and its down to 1.020, so im assuming dry yeast is working. I will give a few more days and test again. Any harm in kegging it if it doesnt get to expected fg? Low abv beer sample still tastes ok

[Edited to change "With knowing the number of days at each reading..." to read "Without knowing the number of days at each reading...".

So you now have 2 smack-packs of 1007 and a dry yeast package in it? If it doesn't ferment now, I have no idea what would be wrong.

Still would like to know your timeline. After how many days did you add the second smack-pack? How about the dry yeast? On which days did you get which gravity readings? Without knowing the number of days at each reading, I am still inclined to think that you just have a slow fermentation.

(This assuming other things are correct, like fermentation temperature.)

Given the issues you've been having, I wouldn't keg it until you have three consecutive gravity readings that are the same (taken on different days) to be sure the fermentation is done.

Brewed on july 25th added second smack pack 5 days later. Added dry yeast on sat aug 3rd. Next day small krausen. Took a gravity reading and its slowly coming along down to 1.018. I always taste my samples and it tastes good, so i will let it keep chugging along and check periodically. Thank you guys for all the input.

Latest posts

Back