1st batch - what is this stuff ??!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claypot2

Reaction score
I made my first batch of Kombucha last weekend (3 days ago). Cleaned all my equipment with hot soapy water and rinsed everything with distilled white vinegar. Used purified water 3 qts, 1 cup sugar, 2 black tea bags and 2 green tea bags. Boiled my water for 10 minutes before brewing tea and sugar for 15 min. Let it cool. Put it in my clean jar. Put my Scoby that I had bought 2 weeks ago in the jar (I kept the scoby and its liquid in the fridge for 2 weeks before brewing). The scoby was semi-opaque and had a blob of snot like stuff hanging off the bottom - I put it all in the brewed tea including the liquid it was sitting in. I tested my PH and it was about 3.5 (maybe a little lower based on color of the pH test strip). Looks like a scoby baby is starting to form on the top but there is a lot of slimy looking stuff swimming around it. Does this look normal? I'm just wondering what it all is since it doesn't look like the classic white disk.

IMG_0732.JPG

They all look like alien monsters at first. Any dark strands are yeast ropes, the pale chunk is a bacterial mat and cellulose. Just keep an eye out for fuzzy growth on top, insects, and vinegar eels (they're tiny and attracted to light).

They all look like alien monsters at first. Any dark strands are yeast ropes, the pale chunk is a bacterial mat and cellulose. Just keep an eye out for fuzzy growth on top, insects, and vinegar eels (they're tiny and attracted to light).

I've been brewing kombucha for a year and have never seen or heard about these vinegar eels. Google images freaked me out a bit!

Back