1st Attempt at a Belgian Dubble (BIAB method), w/a twist...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I need to brew a Belgian Dubbel style beer for an upcoming brew club event. There is a slight twist to it though. I need to incorporate Red X Malt into the grain bill. Here's the thing, I've never brewed anything but a Pale Ale or IPA. I've checked the recipe DB for Dubbel recipes, but I'm not sure which one to go with for my first attempt, while incorporating the Red X Malt. I've also looked at the BeerSmith recipes for Dubbels too. So any help or suggestions on a good recipe would be greatly appreciated.

Second part is, what yeast is good to use? I do not have a fermentation chamber, but could keep the yeast in the high 60's to low 70's which seems to be the sweet spot for most of these yeast strains.
I see Wyeast recommends (for Belgian Dubbels):
3787 - Trappist High Gravity
3944 - Belgian Witbier
1214 - Belgian Abbey
3522 - Belgian Ardennes

White Labs recommends (for Belgian's):
WLP400 - Belgian Wit
WLP410 - Belgian Wit II Yeast
WLP500 - Trappist Ale Yeast
WLP530 - Belgian Abbey Yeast
WLP550 - Belgian Ale Yeast
WLP565 - Belgian Saison I
WLP570 - Belgian Golden Ale

But with all the different choices, what is a good strain to use that doesn't require a fermentation chamber to raise or lower the temps? Again, I can keep a constant temp, or start low and the ambient temps may let it rise some. Or I may be able to attach a heating pad to it if needed.

Thanks in advance! Cheers! :mug:

PS - Mods, I thought this might the right forum to post this question. Feel free to move it if you feel it should be moved. Thanks!

Last edited:
Trappist yeast all the way

Thanks for the yeast suggestion! Any thoughts on a decent recipe to work with? I'm not sure what recipes look good vs just ok or eh. Again I've only brewed IPAs and Pale Ales so this is all new to me.

Also, I am looking to go to my LHBS tomorrow or Wednesday to get anything for it that I don't have on hand. Thanks again!

Given @Schumed's recommendation using Trappist yeast, I think I am going to go with the following recipe. "Dubbel Your Pleasure" from AHA. I am going to look into what grains I can remove and use Red X Malt instead. Or I will look into just adding the Red X Malt to the grain bill and just adjust the numbers to stay within line of the style of beer.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/dubbel-your-pleasure/

Latest posts

Back