1st AG Batch.. ? on boil volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MileHighHops

Reaction score
I'll be using the brew kettle/pot that came with the turkey fryer. It holds about 6.5 gallons if filled to the lip. I've used this kettle several times for extract brews but this will be the first time I've used it for an AG brew. For extract, I've usually boiled about 4.5 - 5 gallons to limit boil overs, and then added additional water post boil to reach 5 gallons.

So, if I start my boil with 6 gallons will I be able to finish with a 5 gallon batch? Ideally I'd like to get a larger, stainless steel brew kettle. But I'm not quite there yet so I'd like to make this turkey fryer pot work for the time being.

Thanks guys!

Every system varies. For me, I've got to start out with about 7 gallons to end up with 5.5.

I wouldn't worry about it though. Your efficiency is completely unknown and will probably be inconsistent for your first several batches as you learn the ropes. You might well end up undershooting your starting gravity, boiling off more than you plan, and ending up with the right OG.

Fill up your pot with water with a measured amount of water, boil an hour with a good rolling boil, measure what's left at the end of the hour. This will calculate your boil off and answer your question:)

Low wide pots lose more typically than tall narrow pots....

Thanks guys. I was able to yield a 5 gallon batch from a 6 gallon boil. Kettle is tall and narrow so maybe that helped

Back