1st AG batch - OG a bit low, FG a bit low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwberne

Reaction score
Working on my first AG batch (BYO clone recipe - 3 gallons - Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale). Used full Wyeast Ringwood Ale smack pack (recipe was or White Labs British ale - LHBS didn't have it). Mashed, batch sparged, all went well, but OG 1.055 as opposed to 1.070. Ferment started overnight, krausen lasted a day, vigorous bubbling continued through second day. Left in primary full 2 weeks. Now racking to secondary, checked SG - it is 1.021, vs. 1.016. I gather I did not get desired attenuation. I don't think this scenario suggests stuck ferment. My plan is to let sit in secondary 2 weeks (with a dry hop the last 7 days). Don't think I need to add yeast to secondary.

My assumption is I will have somewhat less alcohol - I'm okay with that if the taste is good. I imagine I might lower my priming sugar a bit, since there might be more fermentables still in the wort than anticipated and I don't want to overcarb. All this make sense?

Search the threads and you will find plenty of thoughts to help you hit your gravity. You were so far off I'm guessing you under sparged and left a bunch of sugar with the grains.

If 3 gallons of 1.055 beer did not ferment out completely with a smack pack (assuming it was fresh) you have a problem going on. If you handle your yeast right you should hit terminal in 3-5 days on a mid grav beer like that. Don't waste time with secondaries unless you are doing something like a fruit beer. You definately have residual sugar left over so there is a very real possibility of bottle bombs; however, that gets into why did you stop at 1.022? If you mashed too hot or have a ton of crystal malts then you may not be able to get any lower than 1.022 so you wouldn't have to worry about bottle bombs. However, if you just stressed the yeast to the point they wouldn't finish then a bottle bomb may be waiting.

Well, my yeast was definitely fresh, and I even used yeast nutrient, so I don't think the yeast had any problems. I generally use a secondary after 2 or 3 weeks, and it wasn't that I quit at 1.022 - that was just where it was today when I made the transfer. Since this was a first shot at AG, and I am just accumulating equipment, I mashed and sparged in my brew kettle (which has spigot) with the grain in a nylon bag. I then batch sparged (two batches). I reckon the low OG was likely my own inefficiency - I certainly must have left too much behind. I also didn't adjust my grain bill up from the recipe, which I understand may be a good idea if you batch sparge.

But, being where I am, to avoid bombs, two solutions come to mind - add some fresh yeast, or when I prime, just use less priming sugar. What are your thoughts/suggestions?

It is extremely difficult to unstick a stuck fermentation so adding more yeast is a not likely to impact things much. Like I said, it should have fermented out in under a week if everything was ideal...pitching rate, oxygen, nutrients, temp control. Its been a while, but try warming it up into the mid 70's and swirl it as often as you think about it and see what happens to the gravity after 3-5 days, that would be your best bet at this point. Carbing a beer that didn't fully ferment is tricky, if you use too little sugar you will have flat beer, if you use normal amount the yeast might decide to go crazy and blow a bottle. Check the beer while carbing, if it seems to be overcarbing then start burping the beers.

Actually, my problem was a high, not low FG. But I waited a few days and took another reading - now it's down to 1.018 (target was 1.017), so clearly I racked to secondary too soon and the yeast weren't done working their magic. I will leave it in secondary a while until I am sure it's done, then bottle. If the SG goes down any more, I don't think I will add any more yeast, because it appears that the yeast in suspension are still on the job.

Yeah give it time it might go down a few more points, I would expect that beer to be around 1.012'ish with an OG of 1.055. Use it as an indicator to review your yeast handling and fermentation procedures. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back