1st 3 Gallon Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frostymug

Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to make an all grain 3 gallon batch out of a 5 gallon recipe. I made the beer last night and all went well and is now in the 5 gallon bucket. The question is this. When pitching the yeast I had to eyeball the correct amount assuming the entire pack was to much for only 3 gallons. Just a guess I really have no idea if I could use the same amount of yeast for a 3 gallon as a 5 gallon. Today I have had a little action in the airlock but not like usual . Seems sluggish. I was wondering if I didn't use enough yeast or the xtra space in the carboy made the airlock seem sluggish . Not sure what to do if anything. Up for suggestions. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure without knowing if you had pitched enough yeast to start with, it's a guessing game. IMO, you're going to need to make a call fast (otherwise let it ride) whether or not you under- pitched based on your best guess observation.

FWIW, I made an extract/specialty grain last night from a kit scaled from 5 gals to 2.5 and it's in a 3 gal primary. My airlock is quiet, but I have about an inch of krausen, most of the yeast is still sitting on the bottom and there is movement just under the krausen. It's still a bit sluggish, but I expect activity to really pick up in the next 24 hours. I'm not concerned. It was dry yeast and I measured to the gram and then rehydrated it about 20 minutes prior to pitching and it foamed like crazy, so I am confident that even it being sluggish right now, I added enough active yeast.

hope that helps you

I used to use half-packs of dry yeast for my 2.5G batches, but I had a few that would take forever to get going, so I currently subscribe to using a whole pack of yeast for one of my batches. If I want to re-use the yeast, I will just dredge off a healthy pitch from the fermentor after it's done.

Unless you are doing a very small beer I would pitch the whole pack. There is little risk of over-pitching. At 60% of volume you won't have any problems. If you under pitched the yeast will catch up, you could have some off flavors but yeast is pretty forgiving if you give it the O2 it needs and keep temperatures in check. I also do 3 gallon batches to get the most out of my keezer space. I often times make high gravity beers in that keg to make it last longer than a lot of my 5 gallons. I usually will make starters or repitch for anything over say, 1.065, even with the reduced volume. In my opinion you really don't run into problems unless you are doubling your cell count needed and even then only if you plan on harvesting that yeast for later beers. Your theory on reduced air lock activity makes sense as well. An abundance of head space can make things behave abnormally.
Depending on your situation... I also make 5 gallon batches and split off a gallon to a couple of wine jug fermenters each and will add brett or bugs and fruit and then bottle condition those beers. A little more work but it's kind of fun and you don't mind if they turn out less than stellar because they are "extra" beers.
At any rate if thats all that went wrong with the batch call it a victory and do it again. I missed my mash temp and then lost more degrees than usual the first time I did a 3 gallon. You should be fine.

I brew 2.5 gallon batches as well. If it's dry yeast, I usually pitch the whole thing. If it's liquid, I make a starter and split it into three for future batches, or to propagate it again. Save some $$$ that way with liquid yeast.

Back