American Pale Ale 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this at some point recently, and it's been in bottles for about two weeks and is my favorite beer so far. I'm hoping to develop an AG version to have as a house ale.

This quick extract seemed to force itself into my house pale. It's just so easy and quick and good. It just seems to have different hops most of the times:mug:

What are you all using for water with this? I've used filtered tap water in the past with extract recipes and I always get some sort of "bite" that I don't get with my all grain beers. Wonder if using bottled distilled water might be the better route? Will probably try this next batch.

Here's my mosaic version. Came out great and didn't last long.

Moe Szyslak

6lb Amber DME
1lb Crystal 60 steeped

1.75oz Mosaic FWH
1oz Mosaic @ 5'
1oz Mosaic Whirlpool @ 180 degrees for 20'
2oz Mosaic Dry Hop for five days
2oz Mosaic dry hop for three days

So easy and so good. I've already used this technique for a centennial blonde with another version of this recipe on deck with 2oz of Simcoe, 8oz of Centennial and Wyeast 1217 West Coast IPA.

Moe Szyslak

6lb Amber DME
1lb Crystal 60 steeped

1.75oz Mosaic FWH
1oz Mosaic @ 5'

So easy and so good. I've already used this technique for a centennial blonde with another version of this recipe on deck with 2oz of Simcoe, 8oz of Centennial and Wyeast 1217 West Coast IPA.

How'd you end up doing the centennial blonde?

Moe Szyslak

6lb Amber DME
1lb Crystal 60 steeped

1.75oz Mosaic FWH
1oz Mosaic @ 5'

How do you do the FWH with extract and steeping grains? Throw it in the water when you add the steeping grains?

If I wanted to make a 2.5 gallon batch is it as simple as cutting everything in half or do I need to do something different with the hops?

If I wanted to make a 2.5 gallon batch is it as simple as cutting everything in half or do I need to do something different with the hops?

Do you use any Brewers software? That'll help anytime you wanna scale down.

10 pounds pale malt and 1 pound crystal 60L seem like a decent conversion to all grain?

I'm drinking the last version of this I made and it's got a weird tangy twang to it. I don't do much extract brewing any more (other than this recipe a few times), so I'm not sure if it's the just DME, some kind of hop bitterness or something funkier. It hasn't gotten any worse over time so I doubt it's an infection.

I brewed this Saturday night in my keggle. After pumping through my chiller I lost about a gallon of wort. Right now I have about 4 gallons of 1.057 already fermenting. Should I top up to 5 gallons or leave it alone? This was a nice change from a long brew day and it smells great.

I brewed this Saturday night in my keggle. After pumping through my chiller I lost about a gallon of wort. Right now I have about 4 gallons of 1.057 already fermenting. Should I top up to 5 gallons or leave it alone? This was a nice change from a long brew day and it smells great.

If your post boil Gravity was on target then adding a gallon of water to get to 5 gal will dilute it by 25%. You can run the numbers on the impact on you SG.

Curious, anyone try this with the dry belle saison yeast? I've been wanting to try that yeast and this is already a solid recipe.

Funny, I had the same idea when I first started reading this thread...and because I happen to have a packet of it sitting in my fridge! Also have some Citra I've been needing to use up, and I'm thinking the Citra might go well with Belgian yeast phenolics... Also, that yeast is supposed to be a beast of an attenuator, which may be good with an extract recipe...I always used to have higher final gravities when I was doing extract...

Went ahead and brewed this up today... I was so impressed with the ease (and quickness) of brewing that I think I convinced myself that I might need to start some extract brewing again on a more regular basis! Will post again when I see how fermentation is going, and later when kegged and pouring...

Here is what I brewed today:

6 lbs Light DME
1 lb Crystal 40L
Citra 1 oz (14.1 alpha) 15 min
Citra 1 oz (""""""""""") 10 min
Citra 1 oz (""""""""""") 2 min
OG of ~1.052 with a volume of ~5.25 gal

Have 1 oz Citra planned for dry hopping, and I did use the Belle Saison yeast. My faux pa's today were my first boil over in I don't know how long...this brew was as much a test of my new burner as anything (was much quicker than I thought it would be!), and I was super excited at how quickly it got things going. Also, there was an accidental failure of my grain bag that let most of the Crystal 40 into the boil...just went ahead and 'decocted' it along with the short boil, and I'm sure some of the grains went into the fermenter as well....oh, well, RDWHAHB!

Brewed this about 2 weeks ago

6 lbs light lme

2 oz Cascade at 15

1 oz at flameout.

US 05

Bottled on Saturday. The sample tasted great, really excited to try it.

Went ahead and brewed this up today... I was so impressed with the ease (and quickness) of brewing that I think I convinced myself that I might need to start some extract brewing again on a more regular basis! Will post again when I see how fermentation is going, and later when kegged and pouring...

Here is what I brewed today:

6 lbs Light DME
1 lb Crystal 40L
Citra 1 oz (14.1 alpha) 15 min
Citra 1 oz (""""""""""") 10 min
Citra 1 oz (""""""""""") 2 min
OG of ~1.052 with a volume of ~5.25 gal

Have 1 oz Citra planned for dry hopping, and I did use the Belle Saison yeast. My faux pa's today were my first boil over in I don't know how long...this brew was as much a test of my new burner as anything (was much quicker than I thought it would be!), and I was super excited at how quickly it got things going. Also, there was an accidental failure of my grain bag that let most of the Crystal 40 into the boil...just went ahead and 'decocted' it along with the short boil, and I'm sure some of the grains went into the fermenter as well....oh, well, RDWHAHB!

Yes, let me know how this turns out. Pretty much how I would brew it. I love this recipe with citra hops already.

Yes, let me know how this turns out. Pretty much how I would brew it. I love this recipe with citra hops already.

Will do...started slowing down about a day and a half ago, and the krausen dropped yesterday. Plan on giving it about a week to clear and finish up, and the will dry hop it, probably have it in the keg about a week after that!

So I made this a little while ago with all Simcoe, 2.5 gallon batch, at these times:

.5 oz 15 min
.75 oz 5 min
.75 oz 0 min

It tastes great, and I'm just kicking the keg now. I can't believe how easy it is and how drinkable it is. I want to brew it again but with more and some different hops. I love the tropical fruity flavor and aromas, and I don't want to increase the bitterness. The previous recipe was calculated at 33 IBUs. I have 2 oz simcoe, 2 oz Citra, and 1 oz Cascade, and it will be another 2.5 gallon batch. Any recommendations on what should go when? Should I just throw 4 oz in at flameout and save an oz of simcoe or citra for dry hopping and call it a day? Is 5 oz too much for a ~5% beer?

Will do...started slowing down about a day and a half ago, and the krausen dropped yesterday. Plan on giving it about a week to clear and finish up, and the will dry hop it, probably have it in the keg about a week after that!

Any update on this? I'm starting to lean towards trying the belle saison as well.

Any update on this? I'm starting to lean towards trying the belle saison as well.

Funny you should ask.....

I had just poured me a pint and took some pics to post!

I really like the Belle Saison...there is a definite lot of esters, probably less spicy/phenolic notes. The banana was a little forward at bottling but is barely noticeable now. I think the Citra works well, but I probably could've used more than 1 Oz of dry hops for a more prominent hop nose; given all the yeast character the hops can get a bit lost with this particular yeast.

The biggest thing for me is that in no way could I have guessed this was an extract brew that I took less than 3 hrs making from water in the kettle to cleaning and putting away equipment!

As you can see there is a bit of haze, probably from some combination of hops, cold and yeast. Still a pretty brew, and a damn tasty one....

View attachment 1462748391751.jpg

View attachment 1462748415128.jpg

Just made a 2.5 gallon batch with belle saison and simcoe/citra hops. Saving 1 oz to dry hop.

tried this recipe again with a "new brewing partner" and some Hatch Chiles added at flameout with the final hop addition to try to add to the bittering effect. used 1lb. chiles. on un-fermented tasting gave a definite spicy aftertaste, but the whole thing was so sweet it's hard to know what will happen. will update when it's done!

I plan on brewing this again today with citra. I have s04, us 05 and belle saison yeast on hand what would you suggest to use.

The 05 would be the cleanest and probably suit the style best. If you want more fruity esters, go with the s04 and... Well the Belle saison will make it a saison, so if that's what your in the mood for, go with that!

Personally, I'd use the US-05

Currently brewing a batch of this but with simcoe and us-05. Don't have time to fill my 2.5 gallon keg with an all grain batch so giving this a shot!

I brewed this about a month ago and just had my first glass from the keg. This is really good. I will be brewing it again when I need to brew and get it done in a hurry. I didn't dry hop and I used US-05 but otherwise I stuck with your recipe and got great results.

Brewed a little less than a month ago. First pour. This is awesome. Seriously, can't tell its an extract!

Yeah, that was my main first impression when I first brewed this recipe! (Which is why I've kept brewing it as a pipeline-keeper!)

I recently had some tasting notes on my most recent batch from a more experienced brewer with BJCP chops, and the feedback was positive, although he thought there was a bit of astringency, and thinks it may be from steeping the grains in the entire volume of water.

He recommended, and I will try on my next batch, to pull out 1-2 quarts per pound and to do the steeping in that before adding back to the main volume

I submitted this beer for an open competition throw down a few weeks ago and it was one of the final three (we had three groups and this pale ale was the best of one group). It kicked the butt of my two all grain brews that I put in (to be honest the blonde ale I submitted was boring and the Kentucky Common was boring too). It didn't win, but I shared this recipe with the rest of the club and they think it's great. I'm brewing this again because it's easy and fast and it produces a damned tasty beer.

Did a cascade citra amarilo with caramunic II and west coast yeast, tastes great at end of primary.

I am wondering if you could use this method to brew other types of ales say a porter for example, mainly want to know if you can use the method of steeping the grains set out here with say roasted malt, choclate malt ext.
thanks

Did a cascade citra amarilo with caramunic II and west coast yeast, tastes great at end of primary.

I am wondering if you could use this method to brew other types of ales say a porter for example, mainly want to know if you can use the method of steeping the grains set out here with say roasted malt, choclate malt ext.
thanks

I would be worried about getting too much hop character but you could always give it a shot.

I would be worried about getting too much hop character but you could always give it a shot.

I am more interested in the steeping grains side of thing I am not to worried about doing a full length boil, I am doing a 150 litre batch for a wedding and it would make life easier if I could do the steeping grains like this.

I am more interested in the steeping grains side of thing I am not to worried about doing a full length boil, I am doing a 150 litre batch for a wedding and it would make life easier if I could do the steeping grains like this.

If you're asking about doing a quick steep with dark grains, it shouldn't be a problem. Lots of all grain brewers have started to not add their darker grains (like anything from a medium crystal to a dark roasted malt) to the mash until vorlauf at the end of the mash. This means it's often getting 15 minutes or less of "steeping". While you're not mashing, you should be able to get the color and flavor from your dark steeping grains just fine.

However, it should be simple enough to do a separate steep for 15 minutes (or maybe 20-30 minutes if you have time) in a small volume (1-2L) pot of 150-170 F water. You can do this while you're getting the boil rolling, and then just add it to your wort.

Just my $0.02.

If you're asking about doing a quick steep with dark grains, it shouldn't be a problem. Lots of all grain brewers have started to not add their darker grains (like anything from a medium crystal to a dark roasted malt) to the mash until vorlauf at the end of the mash. This means it's often getting 15 minutes or less of "steeping". While you're not mashing, you should be able to get the color and flavor from your dark steeping grains just fine.

However, it should be simple enough to do a separate steep for 15 minutes (or maybe 20-30 minutes if you have time) in a small volume (1-2L) pot of 150-170 F water. You can do this while you're getting the boil rolling, and then just add it to your wort.

Just my $0.02.

... and when I say "then just add it to your wort" at the end, I mean the runoff liquid from the steeping grains, not that bag of grains itself. I would not expose the grains themselves to temperatures over 170F.

So, essentially, you can do a short boil with any extract brew? Like the wheat beer I have coming up, that's 6# of wheat DME with one hop addition during the boil? What does it do to the color of the beer, assuming it'd be lighter as the sugars are boiled for less time?

Hi guys. I'd like to brew this ale but with Citra hops. This is my first batch (just bought a fermenter, hops and LME). Could you please review the recipe? Do I need to add more hops? (in absolute weight there's less citra than it could be if I'd use cascade instead).

PHP:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.94 l
Post Boil Volume: 5.73 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 9.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 9.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 15 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
400.00 g              Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM)          Extract       1        23.5 %        
400.00 g              Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)            Extract       2        23.5 %        
15.00 g               Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min          Hop           3        25.7 IBUs     
10.00 g               Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min           Hop           4        6.9 IBUs      
5.00 g                Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min           Hop           5        0.0 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         6        -             
450.00 g              Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) (after boil)         Extract       7        26.5 %        
450.00 g              Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) (after boil)           Extract       8        26.5 %        
10.00 g               Citra [13.40 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days       Hop           9        0.0 IBUs      

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 1700.00 g
----------------------------

Back