15 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benharper13

Reaction score
So I have an old keg I converted into a fermentor, I was thinking about making a 15 gallon batch of ed's apfelwein in there. Has anyone tried this? If I have to let it sit for a long time I might as well get alot out of it. If so can I leave it in the keg for a long time or will I need to transfer?

Nothing? Come on this is my 300th post help me out. I want to go but the apple juice but I want to make sure this is realistic

I'm assuming you're using a 1/2 bbl sanke keg?
In which case, you wouldn't have enough headroom to ferment a 15 gallon batch (they only hold 15.5 gal).
You'd be fine fermenting 10 gallons in there - I do that regularly. Just remove the spear and slap a carboy cap and airlock on top.

it'll work for sure. the only "krausen" you get out of apfelwein is some bubbles around the edges. don't do a 15 gallon batch of barleywine in it but apfelwein will be fine.

Should work fine. You shouldn't even need to transfer it. The champaign yeast doesn't krausen much and doesn't create much in the way of sediment.

so how long would you leave it in the primary? I don't know how long is too long on the same yeast cake

Back