• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Maryland 15.5 Gal Keggle For Sale/Trade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackSmash

Reaction score
Hey folks - I picked up a keg from a buddy and put in the time to convert it to a working keggle. It works great, I've used it in a couple of brews. However, I really only do 5-6 gal batches at a time and I don't have much interest in doing larger volumes.

I'm asking $150, but the price is negotiable. I'd also entertain a trade for an 8-10 gal stainless steel kettle in good shape - preferably one with a stainless steel ball valve.

I'm located in the Maryland/DC/Northern Virginia area. We can discuss meeting halfway somewhere if that would make things easier.

What I've done to the keggle:
  • Cut the top off, obviously, and removed all of the "guts".
  • Removed all burrs with angle grinder and hand held file.
  • Meticulously cleaned the inside with PBW.
  • Drilled ports for stainless steel ball valve and a thermometer.
  • Attached stainless steel ball valve (with barb).
  • Attached Miljoco 3" diameter thermometer.
  • Made a copper dip tube that connects directly to the stainless steel ball valve.

Both the ball valve and thermometer port are positioned below the 5-gal point and it has been tested at high heat temps (vigorous boiling) and low, standing room temps for leaks. I have not had any leaks from the ball valve or thermometer.

Please see attached images.

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0612.PNG

No, but I'd equate it to parking a golf cart in an airplane hanger.

Happens all the time. Go down a line of hangars at an airport and you will see, lots of boats, RVs and even golf carts. I think a 15 gallon keggle would be a better choice than an 8 gallon pot, gives you room to grow.

Didn't realize the OP was the one commenting on the appropriateness of a keggle for 5 gallon batches. I have an aluminum 10 gallon I used for 5 gallon batches. Keggles are nice for a price point but are more work to clean than a normal pot.

Ok. I have a keg I was thinking to make it a keggle, I might keep it to do biab, might turn it back in.

Back