145 Gallon BIAB, yes 145 gallon!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
982aebe2d39aaf5c291f64f526166066.jpg

That's awesome. So is this a little craft brewery somewhere? If so can you give the name/location?

Took a while, but here ya go...286 lb grain bill...yowza!

Am I crazy for wanting to build a system like that, then hand-mill the grain for the first batch on my corona mill and hand-bottle it when it's done, just so I could say that I did?

Actually, now I'm imagining a group of workers sitting around a 145 gallon bottling bucket with racking canes directly attached to a dozen spigots around its base. Awesome. Not that anybody in their right mind would actually do something like that...

That's awesome. So is this a little craft brewery somewhere? If so can you give the name/location?

Sorry, they just hired me to make the bags, not do the marketing. I will say that this brewery supplies their own nice brew pub, and also has limited distribution in 1/2 kegs to around 20 locations. They are fortunate in that demand is exceeding capacity, so they have turned to BIAB. The owner / brewer said that BIAB cuts the brew day length by 25%, so he can get home at a reasonable hour. They have larger equipment on order, so BIAB may just be a temporary solution to the supply problem. I don't think the implementation of BIAB was planned at all, just merely a solution to being under equipped to meet demands. Interesting to note that the head brewer attended a highly acclaimed brewing school...just sayin he's no hack :)

Am I crazy for wanting to build a system like that, ...

Yea I hear you....I looked at a used 50 gallon pot, was dirt cheap priced right....then I thought to myself I'm spiraling out of control and really have no use for it beside the challenge of doing a huge batch....I walked away, it was a bit rough and needed some work.

I'm sure they probably haven't shared the info with you, but since I'm curious I'll ask just in case.... What kind of efficiency are they getting with a BIAB set-up that large?

Sorry, they just hired me to make the bags, not do the marketing. I will say that this brewery supplies their own nice brew pub, and also has limited distribution in 1/2 kegs to around 20 locations. They are fortunate in that demand is exceeding capacity, so they have turned to BIAB. The owner / brewer said that BIAB cuts the brew day length by 25%, so he can get home at a reasonable hour. They have larger equipment on order, so BIAB may just be a temporary solution to the supply problem. I don't think the implementation of BIAB was planned at all, just merely a solution to being under equipped to meet demands. Interesting to note that the head brewer attended a highly acclaimed brewing school...just sayin he's no hack :)

Yea I hear you....I looked at a used 50 gallon pot, was dirt cheap priced right....then I thought to myself I'm spiraling out of control and really have no use for it beside the challenge of doing a huge batch....I walked away, it was a bit rough and needed some work.

I forgot to add that a system like this is basically my dream. I dream of brewing professionally here in China, but I want to do it like the slob homebrewer that I am. No need for fancy four-tier systems or crazy expensive large scale Braumeisters, just give me a giant stainless pot, a huge bag, and a heavy-duty hoist, and a few massive immersion chillers and we're good.

I really wanted to see how their gantry was setup. I'm glad you got a picture from them.

Corona mill? A couple days ago, I woke up from a dream of a plywood mill rig with a single hopper going to 3 motorized corona mills, dumping into a 30 gallon garbage can.

I really wanted to see how their gantry was setup. I'm glad you got a picture from them.

Corona mill? A couple days ago, I woke up from a dream of a plywood mill rig with a single hopper going to 3 motorized corona mills, dumping into a 30 gallon garbage can.

Couldn't happen here. My wife would get jealous.

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but did you get any feedback on efficiency?

Thanks

I hope I am not breaking any ettiquet rules by coming so late to the party, but hot dang! that is awesome.
Since switching to BIAB i have been dreaming of doing 15+ gallon batches so I can fill 1/2 barrels for my friends that have commercial keggerators. plus some beers just dissapear faster than I can replace them at only 5 gallons.
Now that I am motivated and see the possibilities, I will hit you up son for probably a 25 gallon bag.
Kudos Wilser! Outstanding!

Back