$128 Magic Chef 6.8cu ft chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReddHead

Reaction score
I too have been waiting and this is great but it shows 158 still when I click the link. Where are you see 20 bucks off.

Ouch, I chose a store in Pittsburgh and it shows 158. I wonder if it's a regional thing to move inventory? Maybe play around with different stores in your area.

Corny size? I'll let you know as I'm a out to drag mine into the basement and unbox it.

I currently bottle but bought 5 corny kegs waiting for a day when I could get one of these cheap. If I could get 3 kegs + 5lb CO2 bottle I think I'm in.

According to the measurements on the sizing chart it can hold 6 with s collar. I would love verification though.

I have two different size corny kegs. The newer one is just a bit taller than the old one and with hoses attached I have to fenagle it to get the lid to close. I could see 3 fitting easily. The CO2 tank I'd have to lay partly on its side if I were to squeeze three kegs in there. I don't know about 6 with a collar though. I think 4 would be the max looking at the footprint. But I guess it depends on how fat your kegs are.

Pic attached.
1.jpg

I just bought one. I am planing on 4 cornies (3 ball and one pin), and a 15 or 20 lb co2 tank which will go on the outside. There is a thread on here somewhere that addresses the size and what can be put into a chest freezers. There are too many there with all the dimensions. I dont remember who the OP is but he did put a great deal of work into it. At the risk of being redundant I am posting the file from the thread I found it on. On the PDF file its stated that its for a 7.0, but a poster there also asked the question about the difference between that and a 6.8 and the OP had said......not much. All the dimensions should be accurate. The only difference is the height of the chest freezer. I will try to find that tread and post a link here as an edit. The post where it was discussed is somewhere near the end.

I bought mine in Downers Grave. I think they have a maybe 10 or so available. Call there and ask about inventory, if your local.

Edit. Here is the link to that thread
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/chest-freezer-specs-layouts-377518/

q2keZ3T.jpg

According to the measurements on the sizing chart it can hold 6 with s collar. I would love verification though.

I have been searching for verification that this 6.8 magic chef will hold 6 corneys with the collar installed (8 7/8"). Can anyone confirm? If so this is an unbelievable deal at home depot!

This deal is back again at my local HD. Yesterday and today I saw 4 of them marked down to $127.

If you're looking for a freezer it's worth a call to the HD's near you.

Did anybody that actually owns this unit ever confirm the max ball lock capacity with a collar? I've walked by this unit at HD many times but have yet to pull the trigger because I'm afraid that I won't be able to squeeze 4 ball lock kegs in there.

Did anybody that actually owns this unit ever confirm the max ball lock capacity with a collar? I've walked by this unit at HD many times but have yet to pull the trigger because I'm afraid that I won't be able to squeeze 4 ball lock kegs in there.

Stop walking by it and measure it!...................;)

Take 4 cardboard circles with ya', next time you go, that are the diameter of your ball locks!

(You ain't walked by that thing @ no Home Depot.......)........:mug:

Stop walking by it and measure it!...................;)

Take 4 cardboard circles with ya', next time you go, that are the diameter of your ball locks!

(You ain't walked by that thing @ no Home Depot.......)........:mug:

Better yet, take the kegs in with you. I did this at Costco to figure out how many kegs I could fit in the 14.8 CF freezer before I bought it.

Do any of you who currently have this freezer think squeezing 2+ carboys in there being an issue?

My Magic Chef HMCF7W has room for two 6 gallon carboys OR 3 corny Kegs. It's actually perfect for me at the moment because I can use it as a fermentation chamber for two five gallon batches. I'm going to get a larger freezer for lagering corny kegs.

Back